Favorite Purchase

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Favorite Purchase

Post by maverick »

What piece of gear has been your best/favorite purchase to date? Maybe a jacket,
tent, backpack, or sleeping bag?
My favorite piece of gear over the decades have consistently been from
one company, Western Mountaineering (sleeping bags & jackets).
The quality of down, the craftsmanship, and attention to detail has made me
a loyal customer of theirs for last couple of decades.
Last edited by maverick on Fri May 24, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
k9mark
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Purchase

Post by k9mark »

Does fishing count? A Sage ZXL 586-5 fly rod. I refer to it as "Sweetness"
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sure does! What about this rod makes it so special and stand out from the rest to you?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

It just feels so natural to me. Like part of you. Ive heard many fly fisherman say this but I had never experienced it until I picked up this rod. Its so smooth and effortless to cast.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

For me, it's a cheap 4-quart aluminum pot that has served me so well for so long. I bought it thinking it would last a couple seasons and allow me to cook for a group easily. It's been the most durable, useful, and used piece of gear in my pack. It's cooked some epic one-pot meals. I've got my share of pricey gear (including a couple Sages :D), but this pot is my prized piece because I expected so little out of it and it's far exceeded my expectations.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
xNateX
Topix Acquainted

Post by xNateX »

Snow Peak 450 double-walled Ti mug. Allowed me to upgrade from the VIA stuff out in the backcountry. :drinkers:

Thought $55 for a coffee cup and lid was ridiculous, and maybe it is. Use it daily with a MSR mugmate / Finum brewing basket. Hoping it'll be the last coffee mug I ever buy.

Bought the colored version and mugmate combo as a gift for another. The best things in life are supposed to be shared.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I had a hard time deciding, but I think it has to be me Enlighten equipment quilt, it is so warm and light.
I'm no suture for my future.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I would have to say that it is a Primus vari-fuel stove that I bought eons ago. It's really noisy, sounds like a mini jet engine, but its practically bullet-proof. I've hauled that stove all over the place, dropped it dirt, water, snow, etc. and it still works like a champ.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wow. just one?

Guess my kelty tioga would be #1. great service in all aspects.
The 2 qt aluminum pot i bought in '76. Still carry it and it's faithful (per carne's observations). It's the backbone of the kitchen.

WM gear goes without saying anything.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

My Exped DownmAT 7 UL LW. When you get to medicare age a goodnight sleep is hard to com by under even optimal conditions. The downmat is as close as it gets when backpacking.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!