TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Post by fourputt »

It's Edyth with a Y. Acting Park Superintendent "Major William W. Forsyth named the lake in 1910 for Edyth Nance, daughter of Colonel John T. Nance. (Farquhar.) The name was on the Dardanelles 30' maps as 'Edith Lake' from 1912 through 1947; the spelling was officially changed to 'Edyth' by a US Board on Geographical Names decision in 1932." (Browning.)

I've been thwarted from seeing the falls up close twice previously by heat and cold. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This time I opted for a safer approach. I'm getting too creaky for the rugged hike up Kendrick Creek from Laurel Lake; I still bear the mark of a spill in the thrice-accursed willow-aspen-talus section from last May where I "caught" myself ... but the pack kept going.

On Monday from Hetch Hetchy I hiked over Moraine Ridge towards Jack Main Canyon and camped by the trail at 7600'. I wanted an all-trail backout in case my back gave me trouble the first day. Many people I know with bad backs agree that backpacking is actually good for it.

Tuesday was very windy. I passed the tarns, crossed Frog Creek, and over the saddle to Edyth.

A Mallard had met it's demise at the campsite leaving behind a chicken-sized egg that I would have assumed was from the supermarket had it not been for all the feathers.

Wednesday was my dayhike to the falls. It was noticeably cooler. The ducked route up the canyon generally stays high to avoid the brushy cracks, but I first visited the inlet by surmounting cliffs at the lake shore with a move that would've given me pause with a full backpack. From the inlet, it's clear sailing up the crack that heads NE.

Once up, the canyon becomes downright picturesque.

The falls beckon.

Here's a movie: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fourputt/8809843587/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I returned to camp via the ducked route that goes thru the main gully with a few brushy scrambles.

Thursday morning my bottle had ice. An immature Bald Eagle circled low over the lake a couple times and lit in a treetop across from me with a look on its face as if to share my thought, "Hey fish, when ya coming up?"

Fly fishing not being much of a prospect, I packed up and hiked back to the Hetch Hetchy backpackers campground by 6:30 p.m. -- a beer in the car sealed the decision to stay the night at the campground.

Happy hiking folks.
Last edited by fourputt on Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 am, edited 12 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Post by maverick »

Fourputt wrote:
[Anyone know what's up with the flickr photo links using rimg /rimg ?]
In a previous post TT wrote the following about posting from flickr see if this helps
if not then contact flickr.

-Click on the 'Share this' link above your photo. That opens a drop-down menu.
-Click on 'Grab the HTML/BB Code'.
-Check 'BB Code'.
-Right click in the text box and copy.
-Paste into your HST post (no re-formatting necessary). This gives you a photo that
links back to the photo page on Flickr, plus "[image name] by [your name]" with a
link back to your photostream (I just cut that part out as unnecessary, but if you
want it it's there).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

fourputt,
Wow, great early season trip and thanks for the photos. Simply clicking on them brought up each shot, but maybe that won't work for everyone.
cg
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

I had to find the the "..//farm8.staticflickr.com/.." address to get the public viewing to work. the HTML/BBCode wasn't doing it. flickr has changed a buncha stuff.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

The egg by the duck feathers may indicate it was the female, they often have a patch of blue on the wing. I wonder who ate the other dozen or so eggs?
After I clicked on a few of the ? to go to the flicker pages (great photos!), the rest started coming up on the HST page.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'd bet it was a hen. Sad..

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AA&dur=303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice pics, fourputt!
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

Just checked Nat. Geo. Birds of N. Am. and yes, females have blue on secondaries(?) Explains all the mottled brown feathers too.

Don't know about the other carnivore, but suffice to say I was not temped by a sun-baked duck egg.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for the report and great photos of one of the wildest and most spectacular area in the Sierra. There is something very special about views of Kendrick Creek falls and Nance Peak's amazing south wall towering over Edyth Lake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great trip report, spectacular photos. Now I'm almost tempted to return to Edyth and try to see the falls up close and personal.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

This is the trip I tried to do in April....but turned around because of some weird shoulder pain. I appreciate living vicariously through your pictures though!! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup: