TR: Alta Meadow--Moose Lake--Pear Lake Loop, May 18/19 2013

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Alta Meadow--Moose Lake--Pear Lake Loop, May 18/19 2013

Post by Flamingo »

Hi Everyone,
This weekend I hiked a loop from Wolverton trailhead to Alta Meadow, to Moose Lake, to Pear Lake, and then returned to Wolverton. The section from Alta Meadow to Pear Lake is off-trail, but the route-finding was relatively easy.

Snow Report: It feels like late-June of a normal snow year. I encountered essentially no snow from Wolverton to Alta Meadow, and then only trivial snow patches on the cross-country climb to Moose Lake. At 10,500', Moose Lake is still frozen, but the shoreline is easily navigable. On the north side of Moose Lake, descending to Pear Lake, there are big snow patches that I could not avoid. These patches, however, were heavily consolidated and rarely deeper than one foot; I found the snow walking here to be very safe, and -- dare I say -- fun. The trail from Pear Lake to the Watchtower is essentially clear, but there are a handful of small snow patches with well-worn boot tracks. The trail from the Watchtower to Wolverton is totally clear of snow.

Mosquitos: none!

Looking east from Alta Meadow, it appears that Kaweah Gap is melted by now. At the very least, I bet Hamilton Lake is a nice place right now.

The approach to Moose Lake. . .

Moose Lake, frozen. . .

Approaching Pear Lake from the north. . .

Emerald Lake basin. . .

Some snow remains on the Watchtower trail. . .

I posted more photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorhans ... 757704317/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Flamingo on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Alta Meadow--Moose Lake--Pear Lake Loop, May 18/19 2013

Post by maverick »

Thanks Vhsvhs for a great TR and pictures. It is striking that in May there is
such little snow to talk about in Tablelands. Interesting how Pear Lake is
completely thawed and a little over 1000 ft up Moose Lake is still frozen.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Awesome!
Living On Kaweah Time
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

Great photos - just love that view.

I was thinking of heading over Cottonwood Pass this coming weekend, but those photos have me thinking.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Nice. There didn't seem to be many tracks on the trail from Pear to Wolverton via the Watchtower. My tracks or yours? :nod: I am curious which slope above Pear do you descend from Moose? Love your photos. I posted a TR yesterday. Too bad there is not a better way for HST members to ID each other when out and about.
abkerr
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by abkerr »

Thanks Vhsvhs for your trip report. Given the very dry conditions you observed, would you say it's safe to assume the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow to Bearpaw Meadow will be well clear of snow and with navigable creeks? Though I imagine the mosquitoes are a little more active at the 7-8,000 ft. altitude? My family (with an 8-yr-old and 6-yr-old) will be spending 3 nights on a short out and back this coming June 8-11.
rscofield
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rscofield »

Great photos. Did that loop with my wife last year as her first backpack trip since kids about 20 years ago. Great trip. Was in the Panamints a few weeks ago and it looks like July looking back to Sierras! Russell
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

abkerr wrote: . . would you say it's safe to assume the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow to Bearpaw Meadow will be well clear of snow and with navigable creeks? . . . June 8-11.
You will have no snow problems. If a creek or two is difficult for your kids, you could drop your pack and carry them across one by one.
-Scott
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Abkerr,

Welcome to HST!
You should not have any problems, but you make what to refresh you river/creek
crossing skills by reading this excellent thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
manny
Topix Novice

Post by manny »

Thanks for the TR! Perfect timing. Thought that it might be nearly snow free early this year and your TR is confirming this.

Planning a Pear Lk - Tablelands trip June 7-9. Combination start of Sierra season equipment shake down and intro for a couple of newbies. We usually do the Pear - Moose direct route to start the year, but want to take it easy on the new backpackers.

Will post TR so that I can start contributing to this great community.

Manny