Tuolumne Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scrotata
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Tuolumne Meadows

Post by scrotata »

I know that Tuolumne Meadows has now opened up and was thinking of a hike up Lyell Canyon towards Donohue Pass this weekend. I understand there will be snow, but any insight on the conditions would be helpful. I have tried calling Yosemite NPS in between work obligations, but have not had any luck.

Thanks.
rams
Topix Acquainted

Re: Tuolumne Meadows

Post by rams »

Hey scrotata,

I'm cross-posting this from another thread. I was in the Tuolumne area this past weekend and the meadows were pretty much melted out but many of the peaks (not all of them, though) were decently covered with snow on north-facing aspects. I ended up hiking to lower elevations (Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne) and it was pretty hot down there so if that's any indication, the snow should be going away more and more each day up high. However, it seems like it's still freezing overnight because we saw ice here and there on the trail when we started in the morning. We didn't go near Lyell Canyon but maybe these pics can give you a sense of the conditions in Tuolumne:
tuolumne2.jpg
snow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Oh man, such eye candy!
scrotata
Topix Acquainted

Post by scrotata »

Thanks for the info Rams! and I second what Scouter9 has to say...

I hope to bring back some nice pictures to add upon my return.
QITNL
Topix Acquainted

Post by QITNL »

Here are a couple of shots in that direction from Koip Peak this Sunday:

More and larger versions here:
http://www.qitnl.com/v/051813/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's still a fair amount of snow on north facing slopes, but most of it fell months ago; warm days and cold nights are making for fairly easy travel.
scrotata
Topix Acquainted

Post by scrotata »

I wanted to just add a little update from my trip last weekend. The weather was spectacular and the conditions perfect. I ran into a few people who were climbing Mt. Lyell, which looked great, I made it up to Donohue Pass, which offered some wonderful views.
LIO_8728 (800x530).jpg
LIO_8753 (800x530) (2).jpg
LIO_8845 (800x530).jpg
LIO_8944 (800x530).jpg
LIO_8891 (800x530).jpg
LIO_8895 (800x530).jpg
This was an awesome trip, a little sort, but beautiful country. The meadows up Lyell Canyon were a little muddy, but not too bad and the mosquito's were not an issue. In the shady muddy spots, I would have to swat a few, but nothing major, and after I gained in elevation did not even notice a single mosquito at night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks Scrotata for coming back and posting these beautiful pictures from your trip.
Shows that there is an ample anount of snow on the northern side of the pass as
there usually still is this time of the season.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org