Thinking about Waterwheel Falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Thinking about Waterwheel Falls

Post by rams »

I went this past weekend (5/18/13) and the crossings at Delaney and Dingley weren't bad. Delaney was a foot or two deep but there was a short log crossing a short distance away from where the trail hit the water. Dingley was shallow as well but you could cross a very stable and dry tree trunk a short distance upstream to avoid water altogether. A bit below Glen Aulin, the trail was flooded for a few hundred yards. The deepest it ever got was knee deep but that didn't last long. Definitely bring an extra pair of shoes if you go now, though June should not present any problems. LeConte and Waterwheel are both doing well at this point but I'm not sure how they'll be in a few weeks given the dry winter. In the pictures below, I didn't show anyone crossing Delaney/Dingley (for a sense of water depth) because it was so easy to just find tree trunks spanning the water so we never bothered to cross. The trail between Glen Aulin and LeConte was another story.
first crossing.jpg
escape.jpg
second crossing.jpg
escape2.jpg
flooded trail.jpg
flooded trail2.jpg
leconte1.jpg
leconte2.jpg
waterwheel.jpg
tuolumne.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks Rams for the update and wonderful photo's! :thumbsup:
By any chance did you take any photo's of Tuolumne Meadows looking
south towards Lyell Canyon for this member asking here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rams
Topix Acquainted

Post by rams »

Any time maverick! I'm glad I can contribute something after using other people's trip reports for info in the past. Cheers.
rams
Topix Acquainted

Post by rams »

Oops...just noticed your question about Lyell Canyon. I didn't take any photos up Lyell Canyon unfortunately. The peaks had snow on them still but Tuolumne Meadows was pretty bare. I'll post a pic looking south from the trail but it's not up Lyell Canyon. It might give a sense of snow coverage, though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! I can put it on the other thread if you think it's useful.
tuolumne2.jpg
snow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

rams wrote:Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Rams,

No need to apologize. I believe the information you shared is absolutely invaluable for anyone who is planning on making this hike in the near future.

Thanks for sharing! :D

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks, these should give the person a sense of what the condition may be.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mauhler31
Topix Novice

Post by mauhler31 »

I managed to make it out there this past weekend (6/8-6/9). Thanks again to everyone for the information! It was incredibly gorgeous and I wish I could've stayed there forever!

As for conditions, it was pretty hot going down and up the canyon. Saturday it felt like it almost got up to 90 in the afternoon, and Sunday, it was already almost 80 by 10am on the hike up. Once out of the canyon the temperature was much more comfortable. The mosquitos were also quite prevalent the entire hike in the shaded sections, and definitely dawn and dusk. I came away relatively unscathed but some other members in my group got 50+ bites. Regardless, I think it was definitely worth it to come out here!

Anyway, here are some photos:
looking_back.JPG
heading_down.JPG
tuolumne_falls.JPG
pate_valley.JPG
cascades.JPG
leconte.JPG
rainbow.JPG
cartman
Topix Newbie

Post by cartman »

I was there 6/13. The trail is not flooded between Tuolumne and Glen Aulin. The creek crossings can be done on logs and rocks. I did not have to use my water shoes. The falls are still flowing very well. Great hike.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Cartman,

Thanks for the updated info, and welcome to HST! :thumbsup: