Echo Peak Day Hike 8,895 Desolation Wilderness, Tahoe Basin

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Echo Peak Day Hike 8,895 Desolation Wilderness, Tahoe Basin

Post by madeintahoe »

I had the pleasure of meeting Kerstin who is also a member of this board! She too also lives in Tahoe which is great! We did a hike together to Echo Peak. We started up the non-maintained Tamarack Trail, I love this trail, you do gain a lot of elevation in a short distance, but you can get into Desolation quick this way.

The weather was perfect to sit on a peak and eat lunch! Sunny, warm & hardly any wind. It had been about 8 years since I had been to Echo Peak..I wanted to see my house from the peak again.. So I took my binocs..sitting there looking down I finally found my little house! Before I could see almost all of it, this time because some time had passed the trees on our property have bushed out more, so I could only see about half of it..But I still saw it, pretty funny to be able to see your house from a summit. :D

We meant 4 other people while there, two had a beautiful German Shepherd named Potter!
We decided to make this a loop hike..so dropped down from the peak to the two Angora Lakes. Kerstin did a great job on getting us back down..I had never done this section and had always wondered about it. Once there, we meant Jim Hildinger the owner of the Angora Lakes resort and a very well known Photographer here in the Tahoe Basin. He told us he was sitting there watching us on the peak, said you can see 16 lakes from up there if you know where to look, very interesting and nice man. I bought his newest book at the lodge there, Tahoe in black and white which he signed for me. The little lodge there makes the best fresh squeezed lemonade, so we each had a glass and enjoyed it on the hike back out. This was quite a day..Meeting Kerstin, seeing my house again from the peak, meeting and getting Jim Hildingers book & hiking drinking a glass of lemonade which we both had never done before!
I took only a few pictures on this hike..I think because we were gabbing to much!! http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554214906BepkNs
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

That was a really fun day and it was great hiking with you! The Tamarack Trail was beautiful, with little waterfalls and wildflowers everywhere. And, as you can see from the photos, the view was amazing from the top of Echo Peak. :) I'll never forget those delicious lemonades!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Very nice that you two got to hook up! :D Great views of Lake Tahoe! Whenever we hike in Mammoth we always look for our condo. That's cool that you could see your house. Some day I'll get back up there!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Thanks you two! Kerstin I know those lemonades were darn good..It had been years since I have been to those lakes & had a glass of that lemonade..it really hit the spot after our hike. :)

SN...Yes it would be great if you could come to Tahoe one day again :D