Thinking about Waterwheel Falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mauhler31
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Thinking about Waterwheel Falls

Post by mauhler31 »

Hi everyone,

Considering that it's another low snow year and Tioga Pass is already open, I am thinking about doing a low milage, 2-3 day trip from TM out to Waterwheel Falls and back around the first half of June. I would consider myself a beginning backpacker. I have not done any stream crossings so I was wondering if there are any on this route that I should be concerned about due to the snow melt. Or anything else I should worry about due to the early season. Thanks!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thinking about Waterwheel Falls

Post by Vaca Russ »

Mauler31,

Welcome to HST. I have done that hike before. Although, it was years ago. This is a beautiful hike.

You want to go early season so you get the full effect of the snowmelt runoff. W. Daisy was just up in Yosemite about 2 weeks ago. I think I remember her posting that peak stream height was over for the area she observed. I was out in northern Desolation at the same time and concur with this observation.

Giving yourself 2-3 days is a good idea. Take your time and enjoy the hike! :) Remember to post a TR!

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Welcome to HST! I did that trip a few years ago, I don't remember it being a particularly wet year, so maybe my experience applies to this year.

Lets see if this works..........

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4269&p=25627#p25627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For what it's worth, I'm a pretty big guy (read fat) and I didn't have any trouble with the trip. Was I tired? Sure. But it was a great trip. By the way, I never made it to Waterwheel. We stopped at Le Conte, thinking it was Waterwheel. I need to go back one of these days.

Lastly, be prepared for mosquitoes. Have fun!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mauler31,

Welcome to HST!
You should be fine, the area above California Falls will probably still be flodded but
lower than usual, if the water levels are higher you can put on Teva's and follow the trail
that will be under water (on and off) or you can skirt around the bottom of the cliffs
avoiding getting wet. Glen Aulin Falls bridge sometimes is partially under water but
is easliy crossed, the best campsites are off a spure trail to the west (your left as your
heading down) through some bushes and into a stand of trees that has a clearing with
some great campsites, these sites are located above and near Waterwheel Falls.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Funny, I was just about to start a topic about: "The Tioga Road is open and this would be an ideal time to get down past Glen Aulen!" Everything Maverick said above is true. Be sure to bring wading shoes and yes, stay near the cliffs. Here are some examples below of what you are missing if you don't go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mauhler31
Topix Novice

Post by mauhler31 »

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions! I will definitely try to make it in the next few weeks and will post a TR with pictures.

It sounds like the best place to camp is pretty close to Waterwheel Falls. My National Geographic map doesn't have mileages on that part of the trail. Is it roughly 8 miles or so to the falls from TM?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Approx 9 miles.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Just to make sure we mention the obvious, this hike has two creek crossings on your way to Glen Aulin, Delaney and Dingley. They are both pretty close to the beginning of your hike in Tuolomne Meadows, Delaney at mile 1.5 and Dingley at mile 3. About knee deep in early season, in this low snow year by June it will be lower, but you will still get your feet wet.

As you say you have never crossed a stream before I will dispense some general advice:
Don't cross the creek bare foot, the risk of stepping on something sharp and loosing your balance is too great. Use shoes, either ones you brought for this purpose or be comfortable crossing in your trail shoes and continuing your hike in wet shoes.
Don't try to cross by rock hopping. Rocks are wet, slippery and have a tendency to move. Walking through the water is much safer.
If it feels too dangerous don't hesitate to turn back.

Have fun. The hike to Glen Aulin and beyond is lovely in early season.
mauhler31
Topix Novice

Post by mauhler31 »

Thanks for the info about the crossings. That was what I was mostly wondering about because I knew there was at least one. I'll make everyone brings some shoes for the water.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a TR that includes photo's of some of the crossings:
http://ww2.fedak.net:443/albums/WaterwheelFalls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;