Sprained/Broken Toe

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sprained/Broken Toe

Post by rlown »

why not? webmd and this site are not medical staff. you go to your doctor first and tell us what happened.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

A good 5 weeks, if I remember correctly. Was it the baby toe? I've broken a baby toe at least 5 times and second smallest once. After the second break, I stopped going to dx's just to pay to hear the same thing. If it's lined up as it should be, there's nothing to do but protect it from further injury and manage the pain. Oh yeah, and hobble for a couple of weeks.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Thanks Jim. That sounds about right. I somehow got the toe next to the big one.

Rlown - Hopefully Jim answered your question.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I would get it checked just to make sure it isn't displaced because if it sets the wrong
way it can cause a lot of pain and require surgery to get fixed.
One guy I knew broke his toe and did not get it checked, it set at a weird angle
which after a few months of hiking started causing him a lot of pain, he could not push
off with his right foot, and ended up having to get surgery which could have been
avoided. Why risk losing several weeks of backpacking when you can get it checked
out and fixed before the high season starts.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

just an update on this, and a follow up to the questions about why I hadn't gone to the doctor...

Well... I really despise our health care system so I only use it when necessary. I have health insurance btw.

In this case, I decided after 3 weeks that I might as well be safe about it because I want to make sure everything is good in July.

Took off 2 hours to go to the doctor. Spent 95 percent of that time waiting. Had to demand an xray. Doctor looked at the xray, said it looked fine and I should just use RICE (as I originally assumed.)

Today, I get a call and he says he notices something and my pain might be caused by an old surgery I had. I've never had surgery on that foot or anywhere for that matter, and I've never had any foot pain. I call back, can't talk to the doctor of course, but talk to the nurse who explains that it might not be surgery but it could be something else but they don't know. They don't seem to know much so far.

So, I tell them I want to see a podiatrist. Something I wish I could have done initially but HMO's do not allow. A few hours later, I get a call that I will recieve a call in a few days to get an appointment to see a podiatrist, and the appointment will likely be 3-4 weeks from now.

Also, I have to go back to the hospital to get an xray on my non-injured foot before going to the podiatry office.

All in all a massive waste of time and resources and my experience with doctors does not usually make me feel very confident in their diagnosis. I took more time typing this post than my doctor did evaluating me.

Ah modern times and city living.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes some are a pain to deal with but if you pay decades of monthly premiums
you might as well get some use of it.
Would ask for a second opinion and not let them expose you to any more radiation
without them explaining why the heck they need another x-ray of your non injured
foot which makes no sense unless they want to make money.
Have notice in dealing with some doctors that you have to go in informed, don't
agree with everything they tell you (they make a lot of mistakes to), and be firm,
stand up for your rights as a paying customer/patient.
Last edited by maverick on Tue May 21, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org