PB2

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

PB2

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My daughter send me a jar of "PB2", powdered peanut butter. She found it at WalMart. Unfortunately it has had fat reduced (85% fat, 45 calories per serving) but still has the protein (5 grams per 2 tbs) 15 servings per 6.5 oz. Has anyone used this product?
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: PB2

Post by sparky »

No but I have been looking all over for it! My girlfriend works with a guy that eats it because it is low fat. We havnt been able to find it yet. We will try wal mart.

How does it taste?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I don't know about how low fat it is but this is what I bought. It makes a great tasting P-Butter but of course it's not as creamy as from a jar. I'm getting ready to start experimenting with noodles and dehydrated veggies. It should make an awesome peanut sauce for asian noodles.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/powder ... ercan.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I really want to read your feedback on the PB2, Daisy.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I have not yet opened the bottle. I will use it on my next trip. I find that if I open dry food early it tends to absorb moisture so I wait until the last minute to use my fd or dried stuff.

Also, my daughter lives in Durango Colorado. Their WalMart is the main grocery store in a very outdoor-oriented/ health food/ yuppie town. She found it in the organic/health food section. It is made by "Bell Plantation, Inc" in Tifton GA.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

;) Her Walmart has an organic food section. Now, that's a fancy Walmart!

Ours has a McDonald's and an obesity crisis center...
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Scouter9 wrote:;) Her Walmart has an organic food section. Now, that's a fancy Walmart!

Ours has a McDonald's and an obesity crisis center...
LOL

ours has a large hunting/fishing section. Go get your own food!
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Ours has herd of wild buffalo wearing pink and blue fuzzy slippers. :nod:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Well I used the PB2. I am not sure it has many advantages over regular peanut butter for backpacking. It has less calories (fat), tastes like peanut butter, but you mix it with water. Maybe if you mixed it with olive oil it would be more like peanut butter, but then, why not just take peanut butter. I can see using it more to make a peanut sauce to put over rice or noodles.