Seven Gable Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Seven Gable Pass

Post by fish4gold »

I am wondering if anybody can give me any advice on Seven Gables Pass? I am wondering if there would be any additional info on an early season hike. This is a low snow year with a wam spring thus far, so the conditions may be more like late June or early July (on an average snow year) by the time I get out there (end of May). Did Snow Tounge pass last year with little problem but found the direction we did it in (south to North) was what made it so easy. Any advice (i.e. snow fields, boulder patches, scree, navigational tips, travel direction etc...) would be very appreciated!!!!!!
Also, does anybody know if they open up the Florence lake ferry earlier on low snow years, or how to find out? Their website simply says "closed".
Thank you!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seven Gable Pass

Post by maverick »

Ferry usually starts not to long after Kaiser Pass Road opens which is slated for
5/15. Give them a call soon after or check their website.
SGP with a lot of snow is for sure more difficult, my guess is that May could be
a little early since the snow levels get healthier as one moves north from SEKI
especially once in Yosemite.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I went over Seven Gables Pass from west to east with a couple of friends on Sept 4, 2011. Even that late in the year the low point of the pass was "blocked" from snow. I forget if there was a cornice or the slope was just too steep and icy for us, as we didn't have any snow gear and couldn't kick steps with our flexible shoes. However, it wasn't hard to bypass the snow on the north by working down a series of ledges.

I agree with Maverick that the end of May will be too early unless you have a lot of experience with snow travel.

After most of the snow melts, getting up to or down from the pass on either side won't present a problem for hikers comfortable on class II terrain. Above Twin Island Lake don't follow the red line that appears to be a natural way to go by contour, because you will have to downclimb the ridge. instead follow the outlet stream from the string of tarns (in green).

-Scott (Huntington Beach)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Dittli »

x3 on that. It is very likely to have snow on the north side.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

You guys are great!!!!!! Thank you so much for the help!!!!!
Ska-T, did you have to use ropes on the ledges, or we're they totally non technical? I am very familiar with class 2 travel but don't usually carry the gear for snow, thus hopeing that the low snow year + warm spring would be enough. It was a gamble that payed off last year. 2011 was a HUGE snow year!
Maveric, how did you get the date for the road open, or is that classified info? :)
Thanks again for the tremendous help..... And the map too!
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

fish4gold wrote:Ska-T, did you have to use ropes on the ledges, or we're they totally non technical?
We didn't use ropes, but I had to explore for about 10 minutes to find and test the best route.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/ho ... rdb5399344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lensman137
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Deleted

Post by lensman137 »

Deleted.
Last edited by lensman137 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

Thank you for ALL of your advice!!!!! I will take it, and thank you!
Thank you for the Link Maverick!!!!!!!!!!!!