Tunepite becomes Tunechuck 7/31-8/4-(linked to photos)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Hoffman Mtn opening moves

Post by giantbrookie »

Neat route Dave. I actually didn't think of staying that low. I sidehilled from the parking area and I recall going through the saddle S of 9322. It is too bad that this (2008) is the most recent multinight backpack trip I've done. The summer schedule has just been too busy these past years (and will be again in 2013).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Tunepite becomes Tunechuck 7/31-8/4-(linked to photos)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I dropped down towards Goddard Canyon from the lakes below Tunemah a few years back. I went down about a third of the way and I think the remainder is definitely do-able. There may be a few places where you have to lower your pack down short drop-offs. I pretty much stayed on rock slabs to avoid talus and brush. I thought Upper Alpine Creek was a lot more spectacular than Upper Blue Canyon. I came in from the north, over the east shoulder of Finger Peak, Dykman Pass. The lake basin northeast of Finger Peak is really beautiful. I wonder if any of those lakes have fish.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

SSSdave wrote:
sekihiker wrote:Dave -
Do you annotate the Google images directly in the program or take a screen shot and annotate them in another program.
Bill
Open Photoshop, screen shot with mwsnap 3, <ctrl A><ctrl C>, open new in Photoshop, <ctrl V> then draw lines, add text, resize.
Thanks, Dave.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I dropped down towards Goddard Canyon from the lakes below Tunemah a few years back. I went down about a third of the way and I think the remainder is definitely do-able. There may be a few places where you have to lower your pack down short drop-offs.
I've have gone all the way down to Goddard Canyon from Tunemah Pk, albeit on skis. The route "goes" via the creek, but ends in a spectacular waterfall just above the floor of Goddard Canyon. We bypassed to the north, but looking back up it would be better to the south if you can get there.

Here are some photos https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 97a71b9ddc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

11-15 are images along the route

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Hoffman Mtn opening moves

Post by SSSdave »

giantbrookie wrote:Neat route Dave. I actually didn't think of staying that low. I sidehilled from the parking area and I recall going through the saddle S of 9322. It is too bad that this (2008) is the most recent multinight backpack trip I've done. The summer schedule has just been too busy these past years (and will be again in 2013).
Of course my original route went through the same saddle south of 9322 too. (Note deleted thethread map jpgs long ago.) Then on another thread I mentioned this even more efficient possible route but at the time did not analyze it with GE.

Imagine your teaching schedule has been including a few group geology field road trips each summer? You ought to break free and join us even if you have to catch up by hiking in solo Friday night. Be surprised if there is anyone else on this board that could actually pull off the route solo at night. (: I haven't submitted for a reserved permit yet and won't till early June as there certainly won't be an issue getting a permit. My expectation is to base camp at the south side of Chimney so just a 4 mile effort. If on Thursday evening we night hike 1.5 mile into about 8700 then Friday dawn ought to reach Chimney before 8am and have a full day there. Then Saturday dawn might move camp the short distance to Woodchuck or at least dayhike it.