Dinkey Lakes - Best times to hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bsd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Dinkey Lakes - Best times to hike

Post by bsd »

I was planning a hike along the Dinkey Lakes Loop Trail. My friends and I want to avoid mosquitoes as much as possible, and hear early in the hiking season (May?) or late (September?) for this elevation. Is the first lake accessible in late May/early June? Is it better to wait until August or September?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Dinkey Lakes - Best times to hike

Post by balzaccom »

If you really want to avoid mosquitoes, later in the year is better. Right after the snow melts, there is a brief window where the mosquitoes are few...but you really have to be lucky to hit it just right.

IN September, no luck is involved!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

After the roads open, before the snow falls.

Mosquitos are variable - it's a very dry year, and while I have seen one or two of them, it's not yet gone to swarms. There's so little snow that runoff may be done in a few weeks to a month. In a normal year, May and June are often mosquito-y.

If you don't have a high clearance vehicle, you'll want to start hiking from Courtright. The road to Willow Meadow is atrocious. While I have seen many kinds of cars up there, it always leaves me wondering how much their mechanic is pulling in, after they get home.
bsd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bsd »

So it's possible that the trail will be accessible the last week(s) of May this year? I mean coming in from Rock Creek Rd.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bsd,

you could just go.. hike it.. and post a TR and tell us?!?

other than that, i would go with balzaccom's approach, but it'll be even more dry.

Given the reports (read them on the other threads), it looks like just go and do it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi BSD,

Welcome to HST!
Would recommend you watch for TR's posted here, also check with the ranger
station and NFS website for updates/current conditions to this area. Sept this
year will be very dry, and May could be just right.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ryboards
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryboards »

bsd
I was up there with Dad last May and the mosquitoes were NASTY. From the time we got outta the tent in the AM to the time we went back in it was headnets and long sleeves/pants. Eating was a chore, heck everything was geared around the bloodsuckers, but I did know what fly to use...
I have also been up there in early August on a very low snow year. Zero mosquito factor. Fishing was fair and there were few people.
The first time my buddies and I went up there there was no HST, just the ranger station, a compass and a map.
Good luck
The mountains are calling and I must go.

~John Muir
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

bsd wrote:So it's possible that the trail will be accessible the last week(s) of May this year? I mean coming in from Rock Creek Rd.
You have to check on the road status with the national forest service office.

I know the website says May 20, but I was told Kaiser Pass would be open last week. It wasn't. It now says May 20 on Kaiser Pass.

The Rock Creek route has semi-paved road with bathtub sized car-eating holes in it. It's fun trying to see them through the dust and patchy shade.

The road to Courtright is closed, and the road to the other trailhead is often blocked by fallen trees until the jeep club goes up with chain saws. (Yes, I said the jeep club. We locals often are doing things all by ourselves and the sequester ain't helping.)
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I've gone onto that area both early and late and will never go back early the skitters were just to numerous. It was wonderful in September. We went in from the Courtwright side both times.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
bsd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bsd »

August/September it is. Now I need to plan another trip for May/June. Suggestions? I was thinking Pryor Lake (too high for May?) or Nellie Lake. New post?