Very early season irresponsible speculation

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Very early season irresponsible speculation

Post by norcalhiker »

Who got out last weekend?

The backcountry skiers are enjoying the passes. Still far too much snow at high elevations for dry trails.

I'm heading to the mountains this weekend. Hoping to play in the Kibbie area. I'm thinking it's going to be mostly dry.

The first PCT thrus will be leaving KM in the next week or so. \:D/
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Very early season irresponsible speculation

Post by BrianF »

I was up in the Kearsarge Pass area and climbed Mt Gould last weekend. All south-facing slopes were pretty much snow free, but there is still alot of snow out there and lakes above about 10,800 were all frozen still but starting to melt out
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Very early season irresponsible speculation

Post by sparky »

I was in yosemite for a week. I left on 4/19 when people started filing in. I had the valley to myself it seemed for a few days. I bailed on a backpack to Edith (because of a weird shoulder pain that didnt seem to be going away) on top of the switchbacks above the dam at Hetch Hetchy.

If I could I would be heading to kings canyon =D>

If I were to venture a guess based on what I could see in the vicinity in mid april, I was expecting zero snow below 6,000 minimal snow below 7,000, and consistent above 8,000 of course depending...... I went up the east side of tioga pass, and to virginia lakes, there was complete snow cover, but it was very shallow for april as the data has shown.

There were zero mosquitos.

Southern Sierra is of course much less drier. I wouldn't hesitate to plan a trip over avalanche pass right now.