Bonneville Cutts (I know it's not in the Sierra's)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
jimtheflyguy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bonneville Cutts (I know it's not in the Sierra's)

Post by jimtheflyguy »

Hello Everyone,

Considering that April 27 is fast approaching and we're all waiting on baited breath...yea I know it's a terrible pun...I thought I share a report from earlier this week. Hope it inspires you all who are heading to the Sierras this weekend!

Work had me scheduled to be in CO for a week of meetings starting Monday. So, like any good cabin-fever laden, anxious, and antsy fly-addict there was no way I was going to fly. Not when I would be passing waters that hold Bonneville Cutts, Colorado River Cutts, and potentially Rio Grande Cutts (depending on just how much driving I felt like doing). I packed my setup and my wife and I headed East. The plan was to fish part of Utah on the way out for Bonneville Cutts. I settled on a watershed known to hold remnant fish that has been classified by the “authorities” as a future stocking strain. Regardless the excursion was fantastic.

We drove as deep as we could into the range on the dirt roads and then hit the “trail” to find the water. Trail is a generous term in this case the path was overgrown and on more than one occasion I found myself crawling on my stomach to reach the creek. It was small but beautiful. The trees were concentrated, the brush tight, and the water #$@$%@ cold! Seriously. Look at my hands in some of the photos. There was no color correction there. They were pink and numb...no complaints here. With the runoff really building, the water levels were high and the flows fast. Though no too fast. Large boulders created pools and runs and the trout were lining up for whatever came their way.

Utah Creek & Pool by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

As you can see, once on the fish, they were not shy. I hooked up on just about every cast. I felt a couple fish in particular deserved a mug shot for their beauty and contrast.

Bonneville Cutthroat Trout by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

Bonneville Cutthroat Belly by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

Bonneville Cutthroat Trout by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr

Bonneville Cutthroat Gill Plate by jimtheflyguy, on Flickr
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bonneville Cutts (I know it's not in the Sierra's)

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Those are some nice looking Bonnies there, Jim. Congrats. I've only caught them in Wyoming before and I'm hoping to get into a few this summer in Nevada.

Cheers!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Beautiful Cutts!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jim,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the TR and great trout photo's, hope to see many more from
you this season. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Absolutely gorgeous trout Jim. Thank you for sharing the pics and the adventure!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

we need to take up a collection and get you some neoprene gloves! ;)

Beautiful fish!
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

That first fish is a stunner. I love those big black spots. Thanks!