TR: Taboose Pass Trail - Cardinal Mountain 4.12-4.13.13

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Taboose Pass Trail - Cardinal Mountain 4.12-4.13.13

Post by maverick »

Rich that could be added to this post a while back :D : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5508&p=34732&hilit= ... ost#p34732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Ok. I added it to the Campfire. Now that I think about it, I lost a pair of prescription glasses on Tyndall Creek, and once brought my Whispelite stove, and forgot to bring the pump. Fortunately, that was only a weekend trip.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

Maverick: I have an Osprey Pack with that stow-on-the-go set up. I didn't know how to use it though, but that video makes it look pretty simple; so that will help when I backpack.

My local REI didn't have the Black Diamond Compact Trail Trekking poles I like; so I bought the children's Black Diamond First Strike Poles - $49 and only 14 ounces. They only compact down to 25.5 inches, which is 2.5 inches longer than the Compact Trail Trekking Poles; so I hope that isn't a problem. I'll see how long these kiddy poles last - they are advertised to be 4-season poles; so I hope that means they don't break easy.
Ken M
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ken M »

KathyW wrote:Maverick: I have an Osprey Pack with that stow-on-the-go set up. I didn't know how to use it though, but that video makes it look pretty simple; so that will help when I backpack.

My local REI didn't have the Black Diamond Compact Trail Trekking poles I like; so I bought the children's Black Diamond First Strike Poles - $49 and only 14 ounces. They only compact down to 25.5 inches, which is 2.5 inches longer than the Compact Trail Trekking Poles; so I hope that isn't a problem. I'll see how long these kiddy poles last - they are advertised to be 4-season poles; so I hope that means they don't break easy.
Well, if the main way you wear out polls is leaving them, then how long they last is not a structural issue! :D

I found that taping on some highly reflective orange/red tape made me much more likely to see them when I've set them down. Sadly, having left enough stuff out there over the years to stock a small REI, I've resorted to carrying things that are highly colored..even lexan spoons!

<sigh>