TR Taboose Pass Trail 4/21/13

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR Taboose Pass Trail 4/21/13

Post by cloudlesssky »

Suitably inspired by Kathy W's TR from last weekend, Jim Means, John Shillings and I decided to dayhike up Taboose Pass trail . We arrived at the trail head around 0830.
IMG_0746.JPG
It's a relentless climb from a pretty dusty trail head, but you quickly enter the canyon and some spectacular scenery.
IMG_0768.JPG
The trail became hit or miss in the snow around 9500 ft. Nearing the top there was mostly snow but some bare patches. To the south side of the pass there was a pretty spectacular cornice.
IMG_0783.JPG
Near the top we came upon a pair of grouse. One was snow white and the other had some spots. I'm guessing their plumage changes in the summer as I've seen these same birds in grey spots during the typical hiking season. These birds were fearless and hardly moved as we walked by within 5-10 feet.
IMG_0792.JPG
At the summit you could see west to Bench Lake and Arrow Peak. I think it will be a while before I head down there to spend the night.
IMG_0802.JPG
On the way back down John convinced me to "ski" down the snow shoots. It was plenty of fun and I only made a few butt prints. It was also a quick way to lose 1500 ft.
IMG_0814.JPG
The view out to Owens Valley reminded me how lucky we were to be doing this hike in April vs August. It looked hot and dry down there even at this time of the year.
IMG_0818.JPG
We encountered lots of deer tracks all day long. I also saw what I believe to be mountain lion prints a couple times (I took pictures but they aren't very sharp). The only deer we actually saw though were near the trail head.
IMG_0819.JPG
All in all it was a nice day and a fun hike. We made it back to the trail head by about 1730 and then stopped for a burger at the Mt Whitney cafe. Maybe it was the miles and vertical but it was a really good burger. Oh, and the onion rings were pretty special too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oleander
Topix Expert

Re: TR Taboose Pass Trail 4/21/13

Post by oleander »

Nice.

If those eastside trailheads were just a hop-skip from where I live, I would be so glad to have that as a weekend hike!

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Very nice! Thanks for the pictures and info. Keep hinting to my wife that we should
move up to Bishop, but she keeps saying "it ain't gonna happen". :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I've love to move to Bishop but are there any jobs?

This is a recurring problem I'm facing right now as I try to move closer to the mountains.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Nice report Cloudless. Amazing how little snow there is for April.
maverick wrote:Very nice! Thanks for the pictures and info. Keep hinting to my wife that we should
move up to Bishop, but she keeps saying "it ain't gonna happen". :(
:D :D :D Ive had the same conversation with my wife. Kinda funny, but mine had the exact same response :lol: :lol: :lol:
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

any more pics?

nice tr

gracias
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

A few more pics:
IMG_0223.jpg
P1020090.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ballpeen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ballpeen »

Thanks for the trip report. Its great to get such current info! How was the road to the trailhead? Would a civic make it?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ballpeen,

Welcome to HST!
It is bumpy, you need to take your time, but yes you can make it to the trailhead, my
Civic made it, and I am no off-road expert. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ballpeen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ballpeen »

Thank you maverick.

This is a truly great site you all have here, by the way! I've been lurking about all winter, getting inspired.