Fall Colors in the Sierra - Anyone interested?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'm still planning on heading up to the Bishop area on the last weekend in September. Four Jeffrey's might be where I'll end up too.

I'm wondering if those strong winds the last couple of days knocked lots of leaves off.
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ranboze »

Here's what I noticed 9/10-12:

A couple aspen groves on thr road to Virginia Lakes have turned yellow; I saw one tree that was red.

Many willows everywhere are turning, notably around Twin Lakes (Mammoth).

Rock Creek: aspens still green

Things are changing quickly!
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Did some scouting in the area between Truckee and Portola this weekend. With the exception of the Gold Lake area (Plumas NF), it's still pretty much green with a smattering of yellow up here. :) Gotta give it another couple weeks. Warming trend coming, so I think it may take a while longer. :( There's a couple really cool little valleys in the Carson-Iceberg area that I'm excited to hike through once the color change starts!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I will be staying in the French Camp campground(Rock Creek) October 6-9. Look for a newer white Chevy Venture van.

Someone mentioned campgrounds closing early...that irks me too. Why do they close just because Mr. and Mrs. camp host go home?

BTW, the campground in Mineral King should be free about now. They usually turn off the water when the weather gets cold and then the camping is free. Should be beautiful up there right now.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'll miss you by a week Mountaineer. I'm stuck in class from the 6-9th of October.

If anyone heads up to the Sierra this coming weekend, please bring back a fall colors report.
badfishgood
Topix Novice

Post by badfishgood »

I'll be between Rock Creek and McGee Creek from 09.20 - 09.24. Wait... That's tomorrow !!
:nod: :D :nod:
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

The Drunken Marmot and I are thinking about heading out to the east side next weekend, hopefully to catch some colors/do some dayhiking and car camping before the passes close (we're in the bay area - makes it hard for us to get over there in the winter). We'd love to meet up with anyone else with similar intentions. We'll be coming through Tioga (probably Friday night) and our tentative plans are for car camping at Glass Creek and checking out the colors during the day where ever they seem to be the best. We may throw in some hot spring stops or bouldering/climbing as well. We've crashed at glass creek several times - big campsites and fire pits, the only time we have ever found it busy was Labor day weekend - the place is huge so it's almost like having the place to yourself. Plans are very flexible!
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

mountaineer wrote:I will be staying in the French Camp campground(Rock Creek) October 6-9. Look for a newer white Chevy Venture van.

Someone mentioned campgrounds closing early...that irks me too. Why do they close just because Mr. and Mrs. camp host go home?

FYI, Big Trees and Mountain Glenn Campgrounds already closed at Bishop Creek.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

I posted a fall color update here:

viewtopic.php?t=1018
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks for the update on the colors. I'm hoping I can make it up to Bishop this coming weekend, but it's starting to look like work might get in the way. :(