Ipad question.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Ipad question.

Post by oldranger »

Kathy and I are about to purchase an Ipad to use primarily for our auto travels and not have to pay year round for data but limit data purchases to the times we need to use cell coverage for internet access. And we can continue to use our dumb phones for calls.

My question is there an app that can be used so that the gps capabilities can be utilized without access to the internet?

Thanks in advance for any help for this tech ignorant old fart.

Mike

Havent decided between the full size and the mini. I prefer the small size of the mini but kathy likes the larger one (she usually gets her way).
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ipad question.

Post by AlmostThere »

The viewranger app is the most fully featured gps app out there. It lets you download a variety of maps for use offline.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I am not sure about the GPS features.

I don't own an ipad either, so take this for what it is worth.

I have sprint, and I have an option that I have to pay for to turn my phone into a "hot spot". Meaning it will transmit a wifi signal to connect other devices to the internet. I think it is an extra 10$ a month. This may not be the solution you are looking for but thought I would put it out there.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Something like this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD3F9rRX0I4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hint...buy a refurb iPad from Apple. Same warranty as new and ~$50 less than a new one.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The thing to remember - no data connection means no maps, unless you downloaded them first, so a hotspot on a cell phone won't help at all. If there's no cell service so the Ipad works, the phone won't either.

backpackgeartest.org has some reviews of Viewranger, and if you check the website it'll tell you SAR teams in Britain use the app. And best of all it's free to try it out. I liked that there were a number of different mapsets to choose from.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Thanks almost there, that is what I'm interested in. something not dependent on wifi or cell service.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Anyone familiar with Topo Point USA? Seems like if you are planning on going out of cell range you can download maps for the area you can go into, then use ipad pretty much like a gps (recognizing that 1. it is heavier than a gps and 2 you will still burn thru battery pretty rapidly if left on. on the otherhand you do have a decent sized map. Google Earth works pretty well on the Ipad, too but I don't think you can get to past, low snow years. This years version shows snow and frozen lakes in Pinnacle/Bear Creek area. I would be more likely to use ipad as planning tool rather than taking it into backcountry.

Mike
Mike

larree0
Topix Acquainted

Post by larree0 »

I have both view ranger and iHikeGPS on ipad and iPhone. At this point, I'd give the nod to iHikeGPS since I use it for both hiking and roads; the app is $7 which gets you EVERY USGS 24 series Topo for the US (AK is 56 series). I download the maps when I'm at a WIFI spot, then use the gps function to track. I've mainly used my phone on this and I have to say it's a lot better in all respects than my Magellan.
PM me if you'd like more info

larry

btw, the maps look spectacular on the iPad!