Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Post by overheadx2 »

The wife an I went to big bear with the new dog, and did some mountain biking and day hikes. Woke up this AM, and decided to do a quick one to Bertha peak before heading home. As we were finishing the hike, the dog was on leash, but jumped into the bushes after what I thought was a lizard, and proceeded to get into it with a rattler. She got bit on the snout, and it started to swell in about 5 min. Luckily we were able to get her to the vet within about 15 min, and she is doing fine. We had to stay another night so she could be observed overnight, but we are supposed to take her home in the AM. Well that was a very expensive lesson about not getting the annual rattlesnake vaccine for your dog. The vet said that the vaccines work very well in significantly reducing bite symptoms as well as cost. We are also scheduled to do some aversion training if she hasn't already figured it out.
If you take your dog out for hikes in the foothills, make sure you get the vaccine. It is amazing how fast it happened.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Post by maverick »

Happy to read your dog is okay! By the way, how much does the vaccine cost? How
long is it effective for?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Also glad your dog is ok and you were close enough for quick vet care! Guessing your bill was at least 400 buxx.

Found this little tidbit looking around today: http://rattlesnakevaccinefordogs.com/faqs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My dog, Samantha had a propensity for snapping at wasps and bees. Muzzle and eyes would swell up almost immediately. Benadryl worked well for that if the swelling got too much.

Russ
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I don't know how much the vaccine costs but assuming about $50. My vet said the aversion training ($80) is much more effective than the vaccine since they won't go near a snake afterwards. The vet bill with anti venom was $1700. Almost had to take a loan out to save my dog. That's why I was giving the heads up to other dog owners. $80 for the aversion and $50 for the annual vaccine is a much cheaper way to go. Many people just give their dogs a boat load of Benadryl and hope for the best. The vet said the dog has a less than 50/50 shot with Benadryl and rest.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

$1700!!! ouch.

Called my vet to see if they carried it, and she informed me that most places don't so I'm expecting the vaccine will be a LOT more than 50 buxx.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

OUCH is right. I nearly choked when we sat down to discuss possible payment plans. it's a good thing I got her from the pound. At least now she costs the same as a pedigree. Again. I was pretty ignorant about rattle snake treatments, and wish I would have known this info prior. A simple vaccine would have saved me a ton of $. I guess I didn't need that new tent this year! Phil
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Looked on line, and it said the vaccine is about $20. Even if that's low, it shouldn't be much more. You may have to go to a vet in a rattle snake area. My cousin lives in castaic which is loaded with rattlers and said that every vet there has them. The vaccine lasts for 6 months so dogs in California only need annual shots since we don't have to worry in the winter. Most dogs should get their annual vaccine by late march or early April unless the season starts earlier where you live.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

good to know. The other aspect is pet health care. I didn't look into it for my dogs, but I wish i had. Sam was a $4000 dog by the end. Bubba is closer to maybe a $2000 dog. That doesn't include food, toys and treats.

I like the Aversion therapy idea. Bubba would ignore that anyway.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I really need to get Callie the vaccine. I have done two rounds of the aversion training for her at least.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

They are offering aversion training at the bass pro shop here in Rancho Cucumunga. I am planning on taking the dog and seeing if she learned anything. There was a 15 minute lapse between the bite and the beginning of symptoms, so she may not have gotten the correlation. How did you like the Aversion therapy? Seems a little rough, but if a few shocks keep her away from snakes, I'll do it.