Baxter Pass Trail Hike April 2013

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cloudlesssky »

I couldn't wait any longer and decided to take advantage of some nice Spring weather. I chose the Baxter Pass trail for my first day hike of the year. I wasn't sure how far my fitness or the snow would let me go, but I wanted to get out and hike.

I arrived at the trailhead around 9am. The road is immaculate and easily passable by any auto. Temps were in the upper 50's and the sky was blue. There was a slight breeze.
IMG_0711.JPG
Many of the bushes were blooming at the lower altitudes and there were some nice wildflowers as well.
IMG_0713.JPG
There was a fire in the canyon in the mid-2000's so despite a good flow down oak creek, the foliage is a bit limited. But it appears to be returning.
IMG_0722.JPG
Almost every view up the canyon is anchored by Diamond Peak. It grows larger and larger as you climb.
IMG_0725.JPG
And Owens Valley recedes lower and lower. I'd guess this hike can be pretty hot in the summer months. Glad it was April!
IMG_0731.JPG
This is about as far up the canyon I got. I hit increasingly patchy snow starting about 10kft and lost the trail. Looking at my Spot GPS track after the hike I think the trail actually goes around on the knoll to the right, but I didn't have a GPS on the trail. The snow cover complete on everything that was hike-able just a few hundred feet above that. So I found a rock, ate my lunch, enjoyed the scenery for a while and started back down.
IMG_0734.JPG
The trail must not get heavy use. Shrubs and trees are encroaching on the trail in many locations. Many of them have thorns and spikes. This is one of the particularly nasty brambles that I encountered. I wouldn't call the trail a bushwack, but it could become one in a few years.
IMG_0736.JPG
The trail out seemed even steeper than climbing up. There are spots that were steep enough that I was sliding. I was glad to have trekking poles to assist the decent (my knees were also glad). I was back at the trailhead by 3:30 and eating dinner with my wife and daughter by 6pm. A well rounded day.

While I'd had the hope of making the pass summit, I was glad to be back in the Sierras. Maybe I'll go back up the Baxter Pass trail in a month or so and see if I can make it then. The snow is melting rapidly and making the pass summit will probably be more likely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for scouting the conditions and posting photos. The snow at the top looks beautiful.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Baxter Pass Trail Hike April 2013

Post by maverick »

Hi Cloudlesssky,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together and post it here on HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the report - that area is beautiful with snow and you covered a good distance in just 6.5 hours. There's still a good amount of snow west of the crest, but it's pretty sad on the east side.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I have not been to the Sierra since October. Your report is whetting my appetite! Maybe this Saturday....
jackie_s
Topix Novice

Post by jackie_s »

So very beautiful. Baxter Pass was one of my favorite backpacking trips! Last summer we went up Kearsarge and down Baxter. We were lucky enough to spy some Bighorn sheep.