Emigrant. Crabtree- Wire Lakes Planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
larree0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Emigrant. Crabtree- Wire Lakes Planning

Post by larree0 »

OK, the cast is off, time to plan! I've Searched HST and we're looking at Crabtree to Wire Lakes, a few days after Labor day. (Thanks for maintaining a spectacularly well-done site!!)
One HST Expert mentioned heavy horse use at Grouse lk, does the Camp lake-Deer lk trail
and Gem, Jewelry, Deer and Wire lakes also get heavy use?
My Topo! Build Profile seems to show quite a bit more total vertical out of Gannelli compared to Crabtree, is that accurate?
Our style is to set up a base camp and day hike from there, which means that we'll be XC to Wire lakes with full packs, one TR turned N. past Jewelry lk, is any scrambling (using your hands ) needed for that? (Peggy's not too keen on that level.)
And last, which lake(s) are likely to have fewest people after labor day?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice
btw, fishing's not too important, do enough in Oregon.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emigrant. Crabtree- Wire Lakes Planning

Post by rlown »

larree0 wrote: My Topo! Build Profile seems to show quite a bit more total vertical out of Gannelli compared to Crabtree, is that accurate?

I liked going in via Gianelli. The vertical is just burst rock and that's not that hard. we went out through crabtree. That felt like a better plan to me in '83. I'd still stick with it today if i knew there were fish in the wires.

Glad the cast is off.

This is what i get from my route to the wires from Gianelli in terms of elevation changes over 8.3 miles (Garmin Mapsource):
Capture.JPG
Pretty normal fluctuations for a sierra hike. Whitesides meadow was a slog back then, as in August it was still covered in snow. Probably not this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rlown on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

A few general Emigrant observations for you:
Gianelli sees far fewer horses than Crabtree does, and you have more views coming in that way.
I'm not sure about the total vertical but I'd be willing to bet that it's an easier and more pleasant day getting to Wire lakes from Gianelli than from Crabtree. It's all on trail and generally a little cooler and breezier on the ridge than down in the valley where the trail from Crabtree is, plus the views.

After Labor day you won't find a lot of people anywhere Is my guess, and the usual simple rule is to get off the trail a little and you'll have the place mostly to yourself.

I'm guessing your dayhiking will include Granite Dome - it should, the views are great - and I'd go by way of Pinto Lakes. Very nice spot, especially the upper lake.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I think the route from Gianelli is a little nicer, view-wise. After the initial climb, everything else felt easy and "rolling" to me. There are plenty of lakes from which to set up a base camp.

After Labor Day, especially in this low-water year, it is going to be VERY dry. That is a shame, as one of the draws of this area is the charming meadows. I think of it is an early-season trip - for what it's worth.

- Elizabeth
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

My 2 cents. Crabtree to gem was beautiful but very,very hot and dry last july. Get water at lakes. We were forced to get water at paiute creek which was barely a trickle. I would not go without a filter. A great trip but I would not go later than july. Higher and farther in is probably much better.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Another vote for the Gianelli route for the same reasons others have inidcated.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I think it's a question of views vs. ease of entry. Once you get to the top of Burst Rock, Gianelli is an easier hike. But the views as you work your way across the ridges of Crabtree to Camp Lake, Gem Lake, and Deer Lake are pretty spectacular. And Whitesides Meadow can be a bit of slog...

Either way, you'll have a great hike. YOu might hike in one way, and out the other, as there is a use trail linking Wire Lakes with Deer Lake...or continue down past Bucks Lakes to Wood Lake..and then out via the Cherry Creek to Grouse Lake trail.

WE have most of this stuff on our website, with photos of a lot of the lakes on the corresponding Picasa pages.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

If you are indeed going in late season as you noted, use the Crabtree Trailhead because water sources along that route will be reliable. Although the Burst Rock Trailhead is better early to mid season, in this drought year once all those meadows brown and seasonal streams dry up, there will only be a few small lakes one will need to go out of the way to reach any water.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I agree on the dry conditions, unless we see a rainy summer. Last summer in mid-july in same area, saw basically no running creeks. The snowpack in that area is better than last year at this time, but by September you should expect no running water anywhere - just lakes.
larree0
Topix Acquainted

Post by larree0 »

You all are great, I"d guess yo've shared literally hundreds of days worth of Sierra intel in 36 hours.
thanks so much

Larry