Adding names to Backcountry permit after it has been sent...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
canadug
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Adding names to Backcountry permit after it has been sent...

Post by canadug »

My friend messed up and put 4 people down on the permit instead of 6. Does anyone know if it is possible to add 2 more people to a permit by phoning it in? Or are we out of luck? It is for a hike from Edison Lake to Mosquito flat.

Thx
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Adding names to Backcountry permit after it has been sent...

Post by maverick »

Hi Canadug,

Welcome to HST!
Yosemite NP site reads:
4. I already have a reservation. Can I add another person?
You can add another person to your wilderness permit reservation as long as
space is still available for that trailhead. If space is no longer available for
that trailhead, you can try to change your reservation for no additional charge
to another date or another trailhead (as long as space is available).

Check to see if Sierra NF regulation are the same at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/sierra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

it NEVER hurts to call. I've done changes on the phone and even in person if there is space available. That always depends on when you enter and how popular the TH is.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There are different rules for different jurisdictions. But as long as you are willing to pay the additional reservation fee you'll probably be able to add to the group.
canadug
Topix Novice

Post by canadug »

Thx so much for the replies. Really looking forward to taking my 9 year old daughter on her first trans-Sierra backpack outing.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Sierra National Forest only does permits by mail, no web, phones or fax.
My permit reservation gives a number to call if you want to change the trailhead or reduce the size of your group. There is a $10 charge for changes. It also says you can apply to add people if there is space but doesn't explicitly say this can be done by phone.

If you already have the permit reservation in hand then you could call. But if you've just sent if off in the mail with the wrong number of people, you wont have the reservation reference back for a week or two. So since the cost of another application is just $5 per person, I would just send in another application now for 2 people (different leaders) and leave it at that. After all with 6 in the group, you can all travel together even if officially you are two groups.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

canadug wrote:Thx so much for the replies. Really looking forward to taking my 9 year old daughter on her first trans-Sierra backpack outing.
Wow...sounds like a great adventure for her! Hope she loves it.