Tr-May 2012 We may be old but we're slow!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Tr-May 2012 We may be old but we're slow!

Post by oldranger »

SweetSierra

Mark is right that it is a piece of cake if done correctly. I've done the route 3 times now and both times from Breeze to Chain exactly the same. Go nw from Breeze along the obvious bench to about the 3rd little pond then head up and over the ridge at about the 9750 level or so. Then work your way s. alternately going downslope and traversing to your left. It is important not to drop into the drainage that goes into Lower Chain (you can do it but will get into a lot of talus) but head for the little puddle on the map that is just e. of the trail between middle and upper chain. Then head w. to the trail.

Oh I bought all the dinners (mark paid for his share) and mark supplemented them with a couple of packs of Tuna in case we didn't have enough fish to eat. (and they did come in handy). And it wasn't until the next trip that I was voted out of the kitchen!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks much, to the both of you.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Really enjoyed the TR; but that photo with the machine gun takes the bait (no pun intended).
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Great TR. Looking forward to the next two and to posting mine after this summer.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Very nice TR Mike and a machine gun to boot. You two are too funny!! Ive seen plane wreckage in the mountains, but never a machine gun. Pretty cool. With it looking like another low snow year, I'm thinking of a 3/4 day warmup into Givens/Royal Arch or maybe taking a look at a nearby stream for some Paiute Cuttys. Who knows, maybe a trip into Woodchuck country. Only time will tell. No problems with the road intel. I love exploring that area and it just gave me another reasonable excuse to tell my wife I was going fishing :D . Looking forward to the other TRs and the "Mosquitofest" this summer!!!!!.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Thanks for the TR guys! what a trip finding that wreckage :snipe:
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Couple of Old Fart thoughts -
Re my horizontal fishing stance/ subsequent comments -
Picture taken at the inlet waterfall and was at the same place that the year before had landed (but nobody ever saw :crybaby: ) a 5-pounder - right there. I was jigging a wooly bugger under the rocks and BAM!
(and bite me!)

Many have probably noticed the green (realistic as hell), trout included in Mike's first segment pictures.
Hard to believe that the 15-inch imitation 'Bow isn't real - used for size comparison...mostly.

Good times.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

your machine gun is documented. your log catch at middle chain and wade to recover your lure is documented but not shared. 5lbs out of middle.. nope..