Ever wash your gear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Ever wash your gear?

Post by oldranger »

Just washed one of my Exos 58s in prep for sending in for biennial repairs. I'll bet at least 2 oz. of dirt and pine needles emerged!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ever wash your gear?

Post by richlong8 »

I washed my Big Agnes Fly Creek tent this year for the first time. It was required before they would repair the tent. I did not realize how stained the tent had become, and I told the rep, this tent has been cleaned, but no one would really call it clean, cleaner, but not clean.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I hose out my backpack every ten years, whether it needs it or not.

I hose off the tents if they ever get mudded or even gritty. I'm not so concerned with stains, but abrasion from dirt. If food's been spilled, definite hose & dry.

I spend a day at the giant commercial wash-n-dry with our down bags once they get a little oily looking on the interior or get a good sweating from some kind of mistake, etc... We're pretty good with bag practices and this takes a few years to come up.

On trail, I wash my underwear and socks every day I've got plentiful water to haul up and away to the wash site, swapping them for my alternate set as they dry.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

After every trip, I turn my tent inside out to get out the dirt and pine needles and then wipe it down inside and out with a damp sponge. It then hangs over a rack in the garage to dry before going back into its stuff sack. Other gear gets the same treatment if it looks dirty.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Wait...You are supposed to wash your gear?

Other than my sleeping bag - (Every 4 or 5 years or so... and only if/when needed) -
I always wash my tent when camped - every time it rains.

Seriously though, I usually wash (hose down) gear at the end of the season...maybe.
Important that all gear is bone dry before packing anything away.
Mountainman who swims with trout
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I do wash my sleeping bag each year. If I ever stop working 7 days a week I will get to it. Other than that not really. I have washed a pack before but I don't do that much. I never wash my tents either.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I wash my clothes... once in a while.

Oh, and I hosed off the tent the other day. A couple nights under some tamarisks and it looked speckled and the floor had a lot of the needles inside.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rarely, and only when needed.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I hosed out a tent a couple years ago, but that was it for gear. Like the others I do wash my sleeping bag once every couple seasons. I do wash my hiking clothes between trips. I rinse my clothes out during my trips though too.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the tents and packs have only been shaken out. never washed. obviously, the pots/pans and clothes get washed. But then, i don't have to send my tioga in for repair biannually.

Sleeping bags gets washed depending on use/sweat factor. Usually every other year. 3 years on the Badger so far and no wash. A sleeping bag wash is a slow soak in a tub. no Machine will touch the badger or my other bags.