What are the best Sierra hikes I have missed?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shuteye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne!!!

Post by shuteye »

I'd like to add my two cents for a very well known classic, even though It's already been discussed. After years of preferring the more out of the way trek--we loved this one, from Glen Aulin to White Wolf. So many water features, including spectacular Waterwheel, and swimming all day. We camped alone not far from a waterfall of some sort every night. Easy, mostly downhill trail (the direction we chose) except for one 3000' climb getting out. Passed only six parties going the other way at height of season. Getting a reservation for a wet season but arriving after the possible flooding is apparently the trick. I guess we got lucky. Beautiful granite walls everywhere, but much of the hike is along the forested riverside. Lots of wildflowers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What are the best Sierra hikes I have missed?

Post by maverick »

Hi Shuteye,

Welcome to HST!
Shuteye wrote:
Easy, mostly downhill trail (the direction we chose) except for one 3000' climb getting out.
That's a big except for some folks. :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
shuteye
Topix Acquainted

Post by shuteye »

Thanks, Maverick.

Yes, you're right, a big Except--

And we were pretty beat at the end of that climb out of the canyon. That was our fourth night. But we were so fresh the first three days along the river--we had plenty of energy to explore, and fool around--I think if I ever did the trip again, I would do it the same way.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

go in at Rancheria to Tehipite Valley, then go up the Middle Fork Kings to the JMT
Beware on this one, I believe the bridge across the MF Kings downstream from Simpson Mdw has been out for several years. Google Earth shows nothing across the river at that trail crossing. See photo below from a post on another forum (credit to an anonymous hiker).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hurricaniac on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

I was 54 when I crossed the Sierras in winter on backcountry skis from Shepherd Pass to Giant Forest on the Sierra High Route. We (foolishly) carried 70lbs. of gear.

I would do it again, it was the trip of a lifetime.

Looking west from Coppermine Pass:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

hurricaniac wrote:
go in at Rancheria to Tehipite Valley, then go up the Middle Fork Kings to the JMT
Beware on this one, I believe the bridge across the MF Kings downstream from Simpson Mdw has been out for several years. Google Earth shows nothing across the river at that trail crossing. See photo below from a post on another forum (credit to an anonymous hiker).
You definitely don't want to crsoss where the bridge used to be. There's a much better ford well upstream, closer to the head of Simpson Meadow. (Difficult in high water; shouldn't be too bad this year, in mid summer or later.)
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Deleted

Post by lensman137 »

Deleted
Last edited by lensman137 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne!!!

Post by MountainMinstrel »

shuteye wrote:I'd like to add my two cents for a very well known classic, even though It's already been discussed. After years of preferring the more out of the way trek--we loved this one, from Glen Aulin to White Wolf. So many water features, including spectacular Waterwheel, and swimming all day. We camped alone not far from a waterfall of some sort every night. Easy, mostly downhill trail (the direction we chose) except for one 3000' climb getting out. Passed only six parties going the other way at height of season. Getting a reservation for a wet season but arriving after the possible flooding is apparently the trick. I guess we got lucky. Beautiful granite walls everywhere, but much of the hike is along the forested riverside. Lots of wildflowers.
I will add my input on this one except we did it in the other direction. Start at White Wolf then drop down into Pate valley and make the gradual climb up. Once you get to Glen Aulin return to White Wolf via Ten lakes basin. Late in the season you will have this pretty much to yourself (we saw three other groups (aside from the Glen Aulin area) in nine days. We took it pretty easy so you should be able to cover this in 7. Lots of water (both river and lakes). and many wild flowers even in August when we went. and it is all on trail.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are a lot of fine Sierra canyons.

I did the same trip- down from White Wolf, up to Glen Aulin, over to Ten Lakes, in 5 days including 4 hr drive to and from. Not leisurely, but a good early season conditioning hike. Did it first weekend that Tioga Pass opened last year. Snowed the night before! This year would be a good year to do this. Early opening of Tioga, water levels moderate. I too prefer to go down to Pate Valley and walk up river. Did it the other way before and the hike up out of Pate Valley in the heat was horrible. Once I did this in the full moon. The moonlight on the canyon walls is fantastic. And I did it once in late August. Waterfalls were not as spectacular, but for those who want to swim in the pools, it is blissful! And you hardly need a sleeping bag.

Although not probably everyone's cup of tea, I also enjoyed Tenaya Canyon in October in a full moon. It was really wild! We had a group of 5, climbing gear and rock shoes. Had to do many short rappels. We did a bivy just before rappelling into the inner gorge. The walls just glowed in moonlight.

And if you want to do Enchanted Gorge, without the bushwhack to Simpson Meadow, turn up canyon at the confluence of Goddard Creek, doing a loop from Chasm Lake, returning by the string of lakes north of Carybdis (sp?).
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Although not probably everyone's cup of tea, I also enjoyed Tenaya Canyon in October in a full moon. It was really wild! We had a group of 5, climbing gear and rock shoes. Had to do many short rappels.
Just of historic interest, John Muir did this hike a few times, and it was the scene of his most dangerous accident (solo). While sleeping on a ledge, he fell off and rolled to the edge of a precipice: if he had gone over he would have died. He was so mad at himself that he forced himself to sleep out on bare rock as "punishment". Still, that canyon was one of his favorites.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;