Glacier Divide Loop ~ Piute Pass, Alpine Col, Lamarck Col

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

After taking a few winter trips in the local San Jacinto mountains this winter I was excited to take a real Sierra winter trip. For my first real winter experience in the Sierras I decided to start from familiar ground, the North Lake trailhead near Bishop. The plan was to cross the Sierra Crest at Piute Pass, then cross the Glacier Divide at Alpine Col and finally back over the Sierra Crest at Lamarck Col. I had four days and three nights to make the loop on snowshoes.

The roads were closed just outside of Aspendell so I parked and walked the three miles to the actual North Lake/Piute Pass trailhead.
2-2.JPG
By the time I got started it was already 1:30 pm so I camped on a ridge just below Piute Lake (only a few miles from the trailhead).

The next day I got another late start and after a long breakfast, coffee and chill time I headed up to Piute Pass.
5-5.JPG
This was a solo trip. When I got my permit the ranger said, "you probably won't see anybody out there this time of year". I wouldn't see another person for five days. It's always strange talking to people after a long solo trip. I was enjoying the complete absence of anything except big mountain scenery and solitude.
9-9.JPG
Snow wave at the top of Piute Pass.
8-8.JPG
The second night I camped above frozen Goethe Lake. The view of Mount Humphreys dominates the area.
13-13.JPG
The next morning I got an early start for Alpine Col. The hike was beautiful with rolling waves of pristine snow.
15-15.JPG
I glissaded down the east side of Alpine Col and walked across Lake 11,910. Alpine Col is the low spot on the left.
20-20.JPG
That night I camped in Darwin Canyon.
21-21.JPG
This bird was the first living thing I had seen in days.
22-22.JPG
I crossed back over the Sierra Crest at Lamarck Col (12,880 feet).
25-25.JPG
This trip was supposed to be four days/three nights but I ran into a lot of difficulty finding the way down from a steep snow covered ridge above Upper Lamarck Lake. I spent hours trying to find a safe way down. At one point I fell into an opening in the snow and into the hidden boulders below. I heard a 'crack' and figured it might be time to use the SOS on my Spot. My snowshoes got caught under the boulders as the snow filled in the opening. I spent a long time on this steep ridge digging myself out but eventually I got down to Lower Lamarck Lake. It turns out the crack was one of my LT4's breaking.

By the time I got down it was 8:00 pm and completely dark. The trails were covered with snow and the small amount of moonlight wasn't enough to find the way. I decided to just sleep there until the morning.

Camping under a tree next to Lower Lamarck Lake I fell asleep listening to the wind howl through the canyon. I watched the stars flickering through the branches above me as the melting creek flowed nearby. It was one of the most serene nights I have spent in the wilderness.

The next day I made my way back down to the North Lake trailhead and finally back to the car. There was a note on my truck from the local sheriff saying, "The owner of this truck is an overdue/missing hiker. Please call. . . ". My family was aware of my location from the Spot messages I had been sending, but they still worried something was wrong. Fortunately everything was just fine. What an adventure!

If you're interested here is a link to the whole story:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... lpine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Re: Glacier Divide Loop ~ Piute Pass, Alpine Col, Lamarck Col

Post by Ska-T »

Outstanding trip and trip description! I have snowshoes but am reluctant to shell out the $$ for a backcountry ski kit. You leave me without an excuse for not going out in the spring.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Ska T. It's beautiful out there, a different experience in winter. I hope you get a chance to go this winter/spring.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

A great read and wonderful photos. It's fascinating to see what the familiar locations look like the rest of the year. Thanks for sharing.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great TR and photo's from a different time of the year. Happy to read that nothing
serious happened to you during the fall!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Looks like a fantastic journey aside from the posthole experience. One of my favorite times of year with not a soul around. Thanks for posting
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Really enjoyed your report. Everything looks so serene in the winter. Good on you for having the courage to do this solo and thank you for posting!

Mike
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it. Maybe these winter trips can help lower the lbs that usually come with the off season:)
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerdmb »

Thanks for the great pics and story. Glad you got out unhurt. I was up there Monday and Tuesday the week before Easter and when I came out the ranger was waiting at the gate by Aspendell asking who I saw and where I went because someone was overdue. I wonder if that was you. Or maybe someone else?
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Thanks for the trip report. You've inspired me to get more serious about getting out in the snow. I too have been getting used to winter hiking in the SoCal mountains.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;