Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Horse Packer Needed

Post by maverick »

Looking for an eastern Sierra outfitter horse, mule, or Llama (which is better?) that goes over Taboose Pass.
Does anyone have any friends or acquaintances that may be able to get us a deal for the search period? Do any of you have any positive personal experiences that you can share that would help with our decision making
process?
Please PM me with any info in this regard. Thank you.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Bus Transportation To Traihead?

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members and Non Members,

Last October during the original search for Larry a person who is a local (Bishop?) PM-ed me offering to use his bus (or had access to bus) to transport our group if needed to and from the Taboose trailhead.
If this person is still on HST please contact me via PM, and if any other member or non member (local) with access to a bus or knows someone with one and may be willing to help please contact me.

Thank you.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Checking Peak Registers

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members and Non Members,

Some folks here enjoy peak bagging in the Spring and early Summer. We have some members who will be checking some of the registers in the Taboose Pass and
Pinchot area which is one of the reasons that Larry's equipment list was posted so early.
If any of you have plans to bag Cardinal, Colosseum, Goodale, Pinchot, Wynne, Crater or Ickes please check the register for Larry's signature, and get back to me with the results. Thank you.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Check Your PM's

Post by maverick »

Members and Non Members

If you have indicated that you are volunteering to be part of the search please check your PM's/e-mails starting today after 3 pm.
If you are still undecided but leaning towards coming please PM/e-mail me as soon as you can.
There is a lot going on behind the scene that cannot be discussed in an open forum so please bear with us as I continue to work with SEKI.

Thank You

PS If you did not receive a PM today, and should have, please let me know.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Post by maverick »

Please submit for the date that was sent to you, if you have any complications please get back to me, and I will assign you an alternative date. Please do not apply for an alternative date on your own since several days are assigned to other people and it will cause unnecessary confusion and complications that can be easily avoided. Search dates are the same, permit dates are not.
Entry date: date sent to you
Group size: 1
Trail: Taboose Pass

http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchRes ... dex=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Answers to Questions

Post by maverick »

Members and Non Members,

Some of you had a few question in you PM's that I will try address as much as possible in
the open forum.

1. Why are the dates for the permit dates earlier than the search date?
My alternate plan, if the primary one falls through, requires everyone involved to have a secured/reserved permit. Even if you are only 50% sure about participating
please get the permit and send me the number so if you did decided to come you will not have to worry securing a permit or having to go up on the 29th (cost is $11).

2. Will I be able to participate if I do not get a permit now?
Yes, if you can get a walk-up permit the day before (29th) or if SEKI waives the quota for Taboose Pass.

3. We read that you were trying to get a packer, is this a possibility?
As of now it looks as though we may have one who will take everyones food/canister over Taboose Pass. Will not ask anyone directly but a donation of $50 towards this
would be very helpful, if you cannot than don't worry about it. Still open to recommendations for packers just in case this one does not work out for some reason.

Will post immediately when one has been secured?
Getting our food+canister over would help ease the loads for all involved and would ensure we all get over by the evening, and not be totally spent.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update as of 5/8/13

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members,

Our request for the quotas to be waived has been held up by governmental bureaucracy and/or the lack of will/spine to proceed up the chain of command.
The phrase "wilderness character being disturbed" is being used as the main reason/excuse not to proceed. We have addressed this issue directly by being willing to spend almost $2000 to get our food over Taboose Pass and close to the Taboose Pass Trail/JMT junction so that we could all get over the pass that same day with each team member continuing on to their assigned basecamps in different sections of the search area well outside of the required 1/4 mile for groups over 10 (neither search team will be over 8).
The main slap in the face is that there will be no major SAR effort for Larry conducted in July, but a few (2-3) qualified individuals, yet to be recruited, would search for clues, walking the trails talking to people. No SAR, no helicopters, no large group of searchers.

When Randy Morgenson went missing, that following year there was a major SAR effort for him, which included a couple of helicopters, Yosemite climbing SAR, and all the backcountry rangers. Now I understand that because of the federal budget cuts things are tight, and that Randy was one of theirs, but Larry is one of ours! Claus, Alexander, and his family & friends deserve to get
resolution if possible by our search effort, especially with SEKI not being able to commit the manpower or helicopters for a second legitimate effort.We never planned or wanted to get politicians or the media involved, but instead made an effort to work within all the park regulations by exactly keeping the wilderness character and environmental impact in the forefront at all times, regretfully the NPS & Inyo NF stance on this minor issue of waiving the quotas for a day will take us down this very avenue.
When and if you are called to write your representatives, I hope you will rally with us to help make a stand for this noble cause and humanitarian effort for one of our own HST members Larry Conn, who was a father, a partner, a son, a friend to many!
Thanks you for your patience as we continue to try to resolve this issue! Mav

PS. If anyone has any political or media connections please contact me via PM.
PS. Our secondary backup plan will proceed as planned.
Last edited by maverick on Fri May 17, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Calling Representatives

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members and Citizens of this Great State of California (We the People),

We have folks who are putting things in motion in Washington as we speak, please
do your part by contacting your local representatives and making your voices heard!

Henry Waxman is Larry's/Claus's representative, and if you live in LA please contact
him at: https://waxman.house.gov/contact-me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rest of you outside of this area can look up you local representatives here
and contact them via e-mail: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't be silent, be part of the "Wave" for change! :soapbox:

PS. A HST member who PMed me today reminded me to get folks to use Facebook to
get the word out also. :thumbsup:
Last edited by ERIC on Sat May 11, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: these and other opinions in this thread do not necessarily reflect opinions of the HST Admin

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Reviving Hope

Post by maverick »

Thought I would share this with everyone here on HST, including SEKI NP upper
chain of command, so we can all hear about what the lasting effects of this
tragedy is having, and what extended pain could/will be avoided or mitigated
by our search.

Getting in contact with Larry's brother David yesterday in Washington, with
Claus's help, learned that Larry's 89 year old mother has been devastated by
not only recently loosing her long time husband but then also losing her son Larry.
She, David, and many of Larry's friends on the east coast have been following
the developments here on HST from the very beginning (Oct). They would
like everyone to know that they appreciate all the efforts and kind words that
have been said about Larry.
Our mobilization to put together a new search
effort to find Larry has brought his mother some hope and a renewed spirit.
Sometimes the good deeds of a few can be helpful to the souls of the many
in pain, our deeds here may not bring resolution to this situation but the very
action itself may.
If you cannot be involved with the search directly, please get involved indirectly
and be part of the "Wave" as mentioned in the prior post.
Let's try together to bring a little more sunshine and hope into a grieving
mother's life.

Thanks Mav
Last edited by ERIC on Sat May 11, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: these and other opinions in this thread do not necessarily reflect opinions of the HST Admin

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Park Funding

Post by maverick »

Would ask everyone here and all the folks that have been contacted up this point
that you also include when you writing you congress person that the federal budget
cuts are one of the main reasons for their not being an all out secondary SAR effort on
SEKI's behalf. Ask them to reallocate funds to the public lands, when missions like
this one gets scaled back and fire staffing gets cut by 1/3 - especially in a potentially
huge fire year like this one, we all need to speak up, these parks belong to all
of us.
Thank you. Mav
Last edited by ERIC on Sat May 11, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.