Trip Report: Carroll Creek (John Muir Wilderness)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report: Carroll Creek (John Muir Wilderness)

Post by JosiahSpurr »

SINCE it's about 3.5 hours from Tujunga, CA to Lone Pine, and gas is at least $4.29/gal., I've been exploring the creeks in the Eastern Sierra outside of Lone Pine and Independence. I had a great experience going up Carroll Creek and wanted to share it.... I parked at the De La Cour Ranch @5,520 ft. ( http://delacour-ranch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...call Julie for where to park.) There's a trail on the south side of the Creek. Head up the canyon which you would see directly south if you were standing in the Creek at 6,400 ft. It's the first big canyon on the left. There's a distinct ridge on your right hiking up the canyon. Head for the "pass" on the right at 8,800 ft. by strolling up the small canyon. Google Maps says the pass is 36.491939,-118.126245. Now you can see the main Sierra crest with the high country behind it. Aim for the "pass" to the left of the jagged crest. The terrain between 9,000 and 10,000 is granite ledges or staircases!!! It's very, very east going. Reach the pass at 10,400 ft. (36.483486,-118.133025). Head west a little bit and find a beautiful little sandy bench with gorgeous pines (probably foxtail). Gorgeous! Heavan on Earth! Downhill and further west is a meadow in Little Cottonwood Creek. The creek crosses Horshoe Meadow Rd around 9,300 ft. I continued west to Golden Trout Camp (Cam Spaulding, director) run by the Thatcher School (Ojai, CA). It took about 5 hours with 5,000 ft. elevation gain. I was surprised that it wasn't that hard, a combination of very EASY TERRAIN the whole way and having done a few years of Sierra hiking a few times a year. P.S. I'd like to find people to do more trips like this, we could carpool from Tujunga, thru Angeles National Forest using Big Tujunga Rd. (My place has gated underground parking.) Who knows, we could write a guide book or something! Call it Canyon Solitude or something... :-)
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Re: Trip Report: Carroll Creek (John Muir Wilderness)

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Tip: For people like me who get more technically-challenged with age (46), just copy & paste those coordinated (UTM, I think) into Google Maps search box ( http://maps.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and press ENTER ... you get a green arrow that shows the two passes. For example, the spot where I crossed the Sierra Crest is: 36.483486,-118.133025
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Re: Trip Report: Carroll Creek (John Muir Wilderness)

Post by JosiahSpurr »

MARCH 2013 -- I was in touch by email with Julie & Coale from De La Cour Ranch. The mouth of Carroll Creek is private property, and they do not want people to believe that Carroll Creek Canyon is accessible to the general public. They take their role as stewards very seriously. "In your travels anywhere in the lower canyons, we sincerely hope you do not have open fires and tread very lightly. It's been a dry year and the valley has already suffered damaging fires set by open campfires. And please check in with us before leaving any vehicles up by the gates."