Taboose Pass with Llamas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Crossdrew
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Taboose Pass with Llamas

Post by Crossdrew »

We are planning on hiking out Taboose Pass in August. With llamas. The info on the USFS website says something to the effect of "Not advised for stock." Llamas can go places where horses/mules cannot, because they are smaller & more surefooted. My question is for any hikers who have come down Taboose Pass: Is there any thing that would be dangerous/difficult for a llama? OK, I know most of you have not hiked w/llamas, but can you think of any parts of the trail down that might be impassable for llamas? llamas can hike all the passes on the JMT, so is there anything espec. difficult that might be a problem for llamas? Thanks for any help, Crossdrew
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Taboose Pass with Llamas

Post by oldranger »

Crossdrew

There really is nothing difficult about Taboose for stock. The top couple miles is a lot of loose rock and sort of cobble like--certainly not a comfortable tread but doable with horses (my experience). No huge step ups or step downs. Not fun but not dangerous either. 6,000 feet of vertical and heat down low are the biggest problems for stock or people.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Crossdrew,

Welcome to HST! Oldranger is absolutely correct that there is nothing technical
about the descent, but the steepness and mileage is what they are probably
referring to.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Crossdrew
Topix Novice

Post by Crossdrew »

Perfect replies!! You both understood the question & your answers are just what we needed to know! Thank you so much! We will definitely drink a toast to you at the end of the trip! - Crossdrew
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I don't know why the USFS site says it's not advised for stock because they have improved the trail for stock use with lots of ankle twisting rubble. I'd say it's much easier on stock than on people. Actually, it's a pretty easy trail to hike up if it's not too hot out - it's coming down that I find most challenging.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I came down Taboose with a 60lb pack in sneakers. Other than stopping to extract the occasional rock, it was fine, until at the bottom when the shoes filled with 100F sand.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Crossdrew
Topix Novice

Post by Crossdrew »

Just wanted to share a post-trip report on Taboose Pass trail. It is a very beautiful area marred only by the impressive amount of talus! Miles and miles of talus! The llamas even complained (they whine), but it was easy enough to follow the trail down and the llamas had no problems. We could see some damage from the storms in July but the trail is passable and we saw evidence of recent horses on the trail. So it is definitely passage with stock.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am not sure what you saw was evidence of horses. When I went up the pass a few weeks ago, a couple were coming down with a donkey. I suspect the droppings were from the donkey.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

When I was up there last week, the Conservation Corp had a large camp doing trail work and were camped at an area with many tent pads beyond the falls. Judging from the equiment, the size of the crew, and the horse droppings on the trail to that point, a small pack train was their method of equipment transport. There is also a corral near the trailhead, so there must be some sort of livestock demand on occasion.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Crossdrew
Topix Novice

Post by Crossdrew »

OK, could have been a donkey, not sure; what we saw was some droppings that looked like horse droppings but I suppose it is possible it was some other member of equine family! :wink: