REI Dividends

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: REI Dividends

Post by Herm »

Scouter9;
I look forward to using my new tent. It would be quite the tight squeeze to get both my wife and me together in this new tent, so it is my designated solo shelter. For a trip with my wife, I think I will still use our REI Half Dome HC, which has a rectangular floor plan that accommodates us both snugly. My current mat/pad is 26 inches wide, and I couldn't see trying to sleep on a pad only 20 inches wide - my shoulders would be off the sides. Many here have suggested getting the most comfortable pad/mat you can, and I agree. There is an obvious weight penalty, but that is the price for comfort.
Good luck in your quest.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Herm, you'd fit with two 20" pads (we do, and I'm a big fella), but you're sure right about the wider pads -- not gonna happen. Since moving to the thicker, Big Agnes inflatable pads (we used BA bags, too), I've been much more comfortable on a 20 than I ever was before, now sleeping quite well. There's weight worth carrying, and a good pad fits that category in my book, for sure!!

As a solo shelter, the UL2 is luxurious with space inside and the dual vestibules. I love it.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

$68, because I bought a few clothing items and fuel canisters.

I'll be darned if I know what I'll get with it. Probably more clothing. Guess I can always use more socks.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

AlmostThere wrote:$68, because I bought a few clothing items and fuel canisters.

I'll be darned if I know what I'll get with it. Probably more clothing. Guess I can always use more socks.
...maybe some more fuel canisters ? :D
xNateX
Topix Acquainted

Post by xNateX »

I had about $20 or so in dividends and didn't need anything major, really just wanted a mosquito headnet. So I stop on by and ended up trying on a pair of the Smartwool 250 midweight baselayers, top and bottom. $105 each.

Amazing.

They're my new trail 'jammies. They're so comfortable, I wear them every chance I get. No regrets.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Just returned from the local REI with a pair of Vasque Mindbinders. $37.00 dividend and 20% off.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Used dividends plus my wife's discount plus my discount to purchase new pair of Lowa Zephyr GTX boots and an Osprey Atmos 65 backpack.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!