Mammoth Shuttle to Red's Meadow duration

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mammoth Shuttle to Red's Meadow duration

Post by bdevlin »

So from my understanding you have to take the shuttle from Mammoth Lodge to Red's Meadow if you are a backpacker. What is the drive time of the shuttle? Approximately. I see that it runs every 30 minutes. Looking to possibly plan a trip to Iva Bell Springs in August.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mammoth Shuttle to Red's Meadow duration

Post by sparky »

The shuttle takes awhile, maybe an hour, hour and 15 min or so to get to the last stop. You could also hike in from horseshoe lake...I think it is like 4 miles or so, but not very scenic.
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted

Post by bdevlin »

sparky wrote:You could also hike in from horseshoe lake...I think it is like 4 miles or so, but not very scenic.
From Horseshoe Lake? It looks like as the crow flies it's the same distance to Iva Bell as Red's Meadow.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

From Horseshoe Lake? It looks like as the crow flies it's the same distance to Iva Bell as Red's Meadow.
Not sure what you are looking at, but no. It is about 4 miles. From Reds to Iva Bell looks to be about 12.5 miles, although I have never been to Iva Bell.

I just thought I would suggest it if you didn't want to mess with the shuttle. On weekends the shuttles will be packed to the brim.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

bdevlin wrote:So from my understanding you have to take the shuttle from Mammoth Lodge to Red's Meadow if you are a backpacker.
Bah! Just go in before or after shuttle hours. Then you can drive your private vehicle.

Other exemptions exist including having a campsite reservation or a boat on top of your car.
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted

Post by bdevlin »

sparky wrote:

Not sure what you are looking at, but no. It is about 4 miles. From Reds to Iva Bell looks to be about 12.5 miles, although I have never been to Iva Bell.

Well, I am just looking at google earth. I'll have to source a trail map.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

*Exceptions to the mandatory shuttle:
-Vehicles meeting any of the following criteria may drive into the Valley; however, the
standard amenity fee must be paid at the Minaret Vista Station upon entry or exit:
-Visitors with a valid Disabled Persons parking placard or plate
-Campers staying in a valley campground
-Guests of the Red's Meadow Resort Vehicles towing stock trailers or carrying watercraft
(watercraft must be suitable for use on valley lakes. There are no boat launches in the valley.)
-Hunters transporting weapons or large game
-Vehicles arriving before 7:00am or after 7:00pm or any other time when the shuttle
buses are not operating.

If you can get there before 7 am and leave after 7 pm you do not have to take the shuttle.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

here are the fees for exception vehicles
Fees for exception vehicles:
Day Pass: $10/vehicle
Three-day Pass: $20/vehicle for three of five consecutive days.
Season Pass: $35/vehicle
Camping Pass: $10/vehicle good for the duration of stay
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted

Post by bdevlin »

Just now looked up driving directions from Gilroy area to Mammoth. It's really 6.5 hours and all the north and around the high sierras? I would have assume going through Yosemite would be better but apparently not.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

88 isn't a bad approach for you. As I'm further North, I like 50 and then there are choices to get to 395. With 50 I also get a buffet on the way out if I so choose.

I'm not a fan of 120, though I did it for decades.

Settle in, turn on the tunes and drive like a madman..