Who bought what?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Who bought what?

Post by richlong8 »

I have not bought anything this year(for a change!). I am about ready to buy AquaMira water treatment drops, and perhaps a Lifestraw, and experiment with leaving my Katadyn Hiker at home. I have noticed the Katadyn water filter, as soon as it gets wet from use, is much heavier than the advertised weight of 11 ounces, and you can almost buy a new one for the cost of a new filter! I am also buying a smaller, lighter camera bag, and a lighter tripod, but have not made the final decision yet on which models to buy. I got a free repair on my tent from Big Agnes, and a repaired my backpack also. I may buy another lightweight fishing reel. I am down to one reel...my repair of a sticky Pflueger did not go well, when a spring flew out across the kitchen counter! I may lighten up on my cookware also. For me, it is all about cutting weight, without cutting my enjoyment.
bluefish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by bluefish »

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat101538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These Crocs are expensive, but as an avid, no obsessed, flyfisherman these worked very well for wet wading many rivers and for crossings, besides use in my yak and raft. I also use them as camp shoes . On one long crossing of a snow field my wife was slipping horribly in trail runners and I went back and gave her the Crocs to try. They stuck well. The soft rubber soles are meant for water traction and seem to adhere to lots of surfaces. They have never thought about coming loose and I've used them for some impromptu bouldering and scrambles.

Having blown the bank on upgrades for my wife and I last year, my only purchase this year so far has been an Orvis Superfine Touch 1 wt. Can't wait to use it up high.

Charlie
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

New hiking pants to replace the ones with the ripped out butts. Then there's the continuous replacement of socks, running shoes, and approach shoes. Luckily the heavier boots last a long time.

A new Osprey Viva 65 pack - it has not arrived yet. I had a $20 REI divident and the 20% of coupon helped. $199 retail price is pretty low for an Osprey pack. I have an old Osprey Aerial (must be 10 years old or so) that I love but it is getting pretty beat-up. It's funny that my old Aerial weighs less than the new versions. The Viva is comparable in weight to my old Aerial 65. Last year I picked up an Aerial 75, which I'll continue for some trips, but it is overkill for most of backpacking trips.

I don't think I'll need to buy much else this year except maybe a new day pack if the patches on my favorite one don't hold.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

KathyW wrote:New hiking pants to replace the ones with the ripped out butts
Likewise. Had to toss blown out pants. Last 6 days were spent with Duct tape holding pants together.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So, given Wyldedge is closing it's doors, I did pull the trigger
lures 001.jpg
Almost feel like a meth addict. New pfluegers come on Wed. Now.. Time to use all this stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Arc'teryx Altra 65
REI Flash insulated air pad
Black Rock Gear Beanie
Arc'teryx UL long underwear bottoms (new pj bottoms)

That is all.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I realized one of the biggest area of weight savings available to me was clothing. I replaced my down vest with a Montbell U.L. Down Vest, and my Goretex jacket with a Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket. I got about 7-8 years of hard use out of my existing gear, and they still have some life, but it is hard to get them to smell decent, and I will save about a pound. I hope this new gear holds up as well. I also had enough free points with Moosejaw to get a free MSR Microrocket Canister Stove to replace my MSR Superfly. I am with rlown, it is time to make the annual Pflueger order.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

richlong8 wrote:I am with rlown, it is time to make the annual Pflueger order.
And they showed up today. I went out to meet the UPS guy, who then summarily threw them onto the porch. :\

Anyway:
pflueger 2013 002.JPG
Haven't bought new reels in over a decade. I'm kind of jazzed. Now just need some time to put spool them and put them into action. They are Pflueger Supreme 8230MG's.

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Nice reels...
Since you are stuck sub-Sierra, I will be glad to field test one fer ya - month should do it.
Won't even charge you...
What are pals for?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Oh very nice I may have to get one.
I'm no suture for my future.