current snow conditions onion valley-bishop

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

current snow conditions onion valley-bishop

Post by DAVELA »

wondering what snow coverage is like and if trails like kearsarge pass and trails out of glacier lodge are totally melted out.Wonder what bishop pass trail from south lake is like?trying to figure out if i need snowshoes and at what elevation i have to bust em out.

thanks
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: current snow conditions onion valley-bishop

Post by jimmeans »

I don't have knowledge of the Bishop Pass trail yet, but I should by this time next week. My friend from Bishop reports that the road to South Lake is melted out up to the meadow below the dam, and that is based on his scouting trip a week ago.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Onion Valley Road is officially closed but clear according to local campers. From 395, the eastern exposure is nearly barren from Bishop south. Driving over the much lower Carson Pass this weekend, I was surprised to see a solid thick snow cover, including Caples and Silver Lakes.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Snow is in the forecast for this weekend; so if we really get snow that might change road conditions.

I'm hoping to be able to do a short trip 2 or 3 day backpacking trip in the Eastern Sierra south of Big Pine. I'm hoping those snowshoes might be able to stay home as early as April this year if I don't go too far over the crest.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

I have been thinking along the same lines as Kathy, so I will be looking forward to any first hand reports. Post 'em if you got 'em!
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I'm in bishop and could possibly help, preliminary run to check an area......

Tyson
I'm no suture for my future.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

to all with the road reports,the roads are clear but are the gates still locked??thanx
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

There is no gate on the road to South Lake, just a sign.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Onion Valley road is completely snowfree as visible from 395 today (eastern switchbacks). I will be going in there on snowsurvey (to Charlotte Lake) on or around the 30th, back 1st or 2nd. I can tell you then if not too late.

From my recent trips up Convict and McGee Canyons last week, snow started pretty solid at ~8,400'. Recent cold temps have firmed the snow up nicely in the mornings (I hiked all the way to Big McGee in running shoes before turning to skis). I would guess that Kearsarge and Bishop Pass trails are snow covered pretty continuously from the TH.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by orbitor »

I was in the Eastern Sierra the last two weekends. March 16-17 took Glacier Lodge Road to its end, no snow at all on the asphalt. The area around Big Pine Creek was mostly bare, with occasional patches here and there. Snow level ~8500' on south facing slopes and ~7500' on north facing slopes. Climbing the north side of Kid Mountain we observed the trail up N. Fork Big Pine Creek to be mostly clear until disappearing further up canyon. Mt. Alice mostly bare, except for some deep gullies and the top. Buck Mountain behind it solidly covered. Further on, Palisade Glacier looks like it has a healthy cover.

Onion Valley Road still closed. The helpful folks at the Inyo Co. Road Dept (760-872-2707) told me the section of Rock Creek Rd under their authority is open - though they couldn't say if the same was true of the Mono Co. section. I'm assuming it is.

Unrelated to the inquiry of this post, but thinking it'd be useful to throw out there: switchbacks on Horseshoe Meadows Rd are completely clear of snow as far as it can be observed from the east.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org