REI Dividends

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

REI Dividends

Post by oldhikerQ »

REI Dividends will be out soon, and the 20% off one item sale starts March 22. My REI card was very active in 2012, and I'll be treating myself to an Arc'teryx Altra 65 to replace my disappointing Aether 70 and a new pair of Aslolo boots.
What are you spending your dividend on?
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: REI Dividends

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Sadly I bought all my items after the new year so it's no good until next year. My dividend as a result is 1.70$
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

didn't even persue my 4.68 dividend this year. Burn more gas than that just to get there.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

$4.50 - smallest in years. Not that I haven't been spending too much on gear, but REI clearly isn't my source of choice any longer. Pretty much all I get there is gas canisters and a few packs of gummi sharks :D
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

$6.68 almost enough to get a new Tom Harrison map. Probably easier to just order online.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

$93.68. I use the REI/Visa credit card so my dividend goes up whether I shop there or not. Most likely get spent on more food and a new pair of Smart wool socks. About all I ever need anymore.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

$6.41.

I will restrain myself and not spend it all on one impulse purchase.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Dave54.. I see a single order of a 4 serving Pad Thai in your future, but you'll have to pay extra. :D
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

I am a holder and user of the REI Visa, which I use to buy gas, pay monthly bills, as well as property taxes and other things. My di\vidend was $178.42, and yesterday it was used in conjunction with the 20% member coupon to purchase a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. After returning from REI, I put some gear (including the new tent and my Exped SynMat 7 Deluxe) in a day pack, and walked down to a local park. At the park, I set up my new tent, and inflated the mattress for a quick test drive. The tent was quick and easy to pitch, and provided what seemed like plenty of room for me and my gear - this will be used as a solo shelter. I had considered a 1-person tent, but decided a little more room was worth the slight weight penalty of a 2-person shelter. Nice new set up for my solo adventures to come, dropping at least 2 pounds from my pack weight (with more to come).
Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Herm, you did great! My dividend isn't up in your range, but I also use a Copper Spur UL2 for a solo tent and I love it. Like you said, it goes up easily and has plenty of room. --I also use the tent for my son or wife and me, depending on trips. Two doors and twin vestibules are well worth the weight!

I was planning to use our roughly 80 dollar dividend toward a new sleeping pad, but the online reviews of the new Q-Core SL report it as so narrow that I have to now agonize over whether to go for the "heavy one" to get the same width as my air-core pad.