Webcam shots

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Webcam shots

Post by John Dittli »

Here's a shot from a couple of days ago looking SE from Morgan "north".
2 Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, John. Good info.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

Lower elevation: View from Peak 8190' above Lake Alpine (bottom-right), looking towards Inspiration Point (center foreground), and beyond. According to topo map, in the background one can see The Dardanelles and beyond. Taken last Sunday. Looking south-east, so viewing mostly north-western slopes. Click for a larger version.
IMG_1474-IMG_1476-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Not Current, not on subject, but a cool webcam capture nonetheless - Mt Williamson webcam from January
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Thanks for posting that BrianF. Very cool. I saw that earlier and was glad that site kept it up for awhile.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

My favorite webcam shot:

Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

This has been around a while and it's not from a webcam, but a remote camera, but be that as it may, its still a COOL shot. Nice kitty...

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

This thread is getting far off topic and i am only taking it further. But this didn't pass the smell test. The shadows cast by the cat or by that stick across the body of the cat didn't look right. Not to mention the unholy closeness to one another. Did a little searching, no one seems to be 100%, but pretty solid this is a cut and paste job.
jfnr
Topix Novice

Post by jfnr »

I was up at Edison early September (hung out with Rouge), and was shocked when I saw the lake. Even more shocked when I found out the ferry was not running. Over the past 18 years I have been hiking out of the area I have only seen the lake really low once, however, the ferry was still running. We had to park @ the boat launch and walk down to the boat from there. I heard that they pull water out of Edison in order to keep Hunington and Shaver full for recreational purposes. Not sure if that is really the case but makes some sense. It did force me to walk the lake trail which I have kinda wanted to do for a while and it was not bad. At least I can check it off my list of trails in the area completed. I will be headed up there the end of May. I am going to check out the lake then head back to the diversion dam and head up Bear Creek. I do not expect to see much water @ Edison but will keep my fingers crossed. I hope Jim has a better season. I would hate to see anything change @ the VVR. Rouge.... we will be @ Seven Gables labor day if you are in the area. Lowest lake in the Seven Gables string on the south side. Stop by for a fish dinner.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

I have an idea. I would like to make a timelapse out of these webcam shots to highlight the drought.

I have a few questions.

- Has anyone already done that?
- Are there any other webcams that have an archive of all of their shots?
- Does anyone know whether or not these photos are ok for public use?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;