Wonder Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mojaveman
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Wonder Lakes

Post by mojaveman »

I have searched but found nothing relating specifically to the Wonder Lakes area east ot Lamarke Lake. I'm thinking of taking the trail out of North Lake down and then I guess a little cross-country hiking to get there. Does anyone know about camping and fishing in this area?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wonder Lakes

Post by maverick »

Hi Mohaveman,

Numerous spots to camp all the way up to the upper lakes. Small brookies.
Here are someones photo's of a trip to the lakes: http://www.normanweinfeld.com/wonder-la ... -2004.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

I have been up in the Wonder Lakes a few times and there are places to camp, at or near pretty much all the lakes. It is easy cross country going up and down the area, although there are a few rocky cliff sections to work around. There are lots of great little waterfalls throughout the area. Here are a few pics from my last trip there, June 7-10, 2012.
We camped just below the large tree on the right side of this pic at lake 10,920'.

Here is looking up into the upper Wonder Lakes area from the peninsula that is in the middle of the previous picture.

This is looking down on lake 11,080'.

And this is my dog swimming in partially frozen lake 11,577'.

Waterfalls just above our camp.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thank you for posting the pictures from your hike. Where are the Wonder Lakes? I would like to visit this lake someday.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

paula53 wrote:Thank you for posting the pictures from your hike. Where are the Wonder Lakes? I would like to visit this lake someday.
Wonder Lakes are west of Lower Lamarck Lake in the Bishop Creek drainage. It was mentioned in the thread except Lamarck was misspelled.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Once you are at Lower Lamarck if you take the fisherman's trail along the north shore it will get you going the right way. Just follow the outlet streams and you can't miss. Each lake as you climb seems to get progressively better.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
mojaveman
Topix Novice

Post by mojaveman »

Thanks everyone. Nice pics, hikerdmb.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thank-you for that infornation. I have never been in the Bishop area, but next year that may change. This lake is on my to do list. Another hike I want to do is the Palasades. I have heard many positive things about that area.