Bears and Mountain Lions

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bears and Mountain Lions

Post by sparky »

I have never seen a mountain lion in the sierra, but I saw one in the San Mateo Wilderness, and while I didn't see it I am pretty sure I was being stalked one other time in the San Jacinto wilderness. Something large was following me for about a mile right after a bunch of deer ran right past me at full speed.

I have seen large and very fresh mountain lion tracks in snow in Jack Main canyon, and decent sized tracks @ 11,000ft on University Peak, it was probably using the same pass I was.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I have never seen a mountain lion (seen a bob cat though) but have had two times where I felt something was watching me as I walked a trail. Spooky feeling.

As for bears, seen plenty, with some good stories. Back in the late 80's at Stoney Creek campground, a bear bent open my parents plastic turtle trailer to get the chocolate cake mix in it at about 3 am. My dad was yelling "get away" while my mom yelled for him to "shut up." Luckily all he did was stretch the plastic, scare my parents, and play with my wiffle ball (chocolate all over it). Next night, we learned to put our food in the car but our neighbors who came in the next day, had their ice chest thrown at a tree that next morning. Guessing same bear.

Another time, some friends and I did a short overnight backpacking trip up Peppermint Creek. The next day when we returned to our car, I found bear prints, nose prints and droul all over the hood and side of my car. No major damage but he was after the empty Windys Frosty cup in the back seat. #-o

Have seen bears in the backcountry while on/off trail but have been lucky that none so far has come into my camp after my food.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

An old story - fits here:

As usual the Yosemite Valley BP site was completely packed that AM…tents and bodies everywhere… (The late stragglers had filled in all the holes). It was just that time when the early-morning risers, the actual backpackers, begin thinking about their day’s journey ahead, and what trail beckons. I heard a noise; a bear was 10 feet away playing with my stocked Bearikade Weekender. Much like a trained seal, he was lying on his back, all four legs in the air, my Bearikade somehow balanced on his nose…comical.

Someone yelled out “Bear!”… (You all have heard this before)…others/everybody immediately got up and came on over – (BTW, a typical scene played out probably every night somewhere in Yosemite Valley). This bear here was small to mid-sized…maybe 150 - 200 pounds, and, unfortunately, already sporting a heavy collar and a numbered ear tag, indicative of his recent jaded past being problematic. He was obviously unafraid of man and more than accustom to all the typical noise tactics - the usual banging of pots, yelling, etc.

Walking over, searching for a few granite chunks – persuaders... something substantial to bounce off the bear’s ass but, just as soon as good-sized ammo was located, my aim was thwarted by the fast-arriving curious masses. Most brought along their cell phone cameras; many approaching/most now situated between me and the bear. The camera users (frickin’ technology meets wilderness) actually formed a close circle around the bear, and because of this crowding/ lack of view, the German bike riders (a dozen or so had camped over, heading SF – NY, – BTW they did not speak any English but drank like fish), unable to watch the bear clearly but nonetheless intrigued, decided to climb up on their bicycles and form a moving outer-circle around the bear.

So there we all were: the bear in the center of Yosemite BP playing with my Bearikade, a close choreographed circle of cell phone, photo-takers gathered around the bear, an outer ring of moving bicyclists trying to see the bear, another ring of campers content with merely standing far away but still convinced that continually banging pots was a good idea…and the “seen-this-all-before” backpackers who sat by and did nothing. I honestly thought this was one of those old Hollywood musicals where they show the overhead shots, like the ones directed by Busby Berkley.

Just when I thought that it couldn't get any stranger, another bear ambled into the picture…the crowd hushed. Reacting to this new presence we temporarily parted, allowing the two bears enough room to come together. The first bear took a big (audible) sniff of this new arriving bear. Turns out, this new bear was a female, and the first one a male. How could I tell? Guess? Now it was time for act two.

Yes my friends, this was a real nature lesson. My Bearikade forgotten, the first bear quickly demonstrated what bears also do in the springtime woods. I had never seen bears mating… (Just like dogs but with much bigger smiles)…all happening in the center of the Yosemite campground. Everybody started hooping and laughing. The camera folk momentarily paused then took more pictures; the German’s, still riding and obviously up for anything, broke out in song, and the pot-bangers…well they did stop banging their pots…thank God.

After a good 20 minute show, replete with bear-moanings and some sort of screeching sounds, the two separated. The crowd started to applaud…a standing ovation…(that male bear was impressively endowed). The sun up and the day starting, I packed up – no damage, and moseyed over to the Curry cafeteria.

…by markskor
Mountainman who swims with trout
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Women just can't resist a famous man :lol:
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Maddog61 »

That's hilarious markskor. Great story!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

One of the best bear stories I've ever heard! Thanks!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Well there was the time when I was 4 or 5 and came face to face with a bear near hetch hetchy.... Then there was the time the bear took a crap 4 feet from my head while I was sleeping.... And the time I woke up face to face with a bear--don't know which of us was most startled... then there was the time a bear was rumaging thru my camp and I sent it over to a Sierra Club camp ... shortly heard lots of yelling and pots and pans clanking .... once I stopped a charging bear by charging back (I wasn't going to out run it!) and I could go on and on but nothing compares with markskor's tale. He not only out does me in fishing tales but also in bear stories! ](*,)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

I have seen lots of bears, most of them while hiking around Mineral King. On a dayhike to the Mosquito Lakes, came across 2 cubs in a tree, and momma bear was on the other side of the tree eating grass. They were in a way blocking the path, and it took a while to get them to move up the hill and out of the way - that was a little tense. On another dayhike in MK up near Timber Gap, heard scratching and breaking of tree limbs, then saw a beautiful cinammon colored bear drop out of a tree and hit the ground running to get away. And on another occasion while hiking back from Eagle Lake in MK, had a bear cross the trail in front of us, then while excitedly trying to get the attention of other members of our group, saw another bear cross the trail behind them.

There was the bear that swam across the southern portion of Summit Lake, at the boundary between Hoover Wilderness and Yosemite NP. When it reached the western shore, it climbed out, shook the water off, and blazed up the hill and into Yosemite - I have pictures of that, although not good quality.

And the closest I have ever been was car camping at Sherwin Creek near Mammoth. Just before dawn, my wife woke me up, saying something was in our camp. I then noticed something sniffing at my head through the wall of the tent. After a few tense moments, the sniffing stopped, and I cautiously got up to take a look outside the tent. There at our table was a momma bear and her cub, exploring around our camp.

Have been stalked/followed by a mountain lion in the San Bernardino Mountains (never saw the cat, but the footprints in my bootprints in the snow were unmistakeable). On a dayhike in Chino Hills, saw the tail of a mountain lion in a bush, again unmistakeable. And finally, while hiking in Weir Canyon Wilderness Park last spring, my wife and I listened to the eery wailing of a mountain lion in the canyon below.

Good stuff!
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.