Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" Combat Boots vs. Hiking Boots

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SinanDira
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" Combat Boots vs. Hiking Boots

Post by SinanDira »

Greetings. So I need a new pair of boots for hiking and my other outdoor activities, and several of the hiking trails we have here in Jordan, Middle East, have major parts of walking in knee-height water.

Considering that, I wonder if I can find any practical boots that will last, dry quickly, and not cause me blisters (I wear thick polyester or acrylic socks).

The market is far more limited over here than you can imagine. The most notable choices I have at hand are the 5.11 Tactical ATAC 8" Coyote combat boots and a few Merrell choices with and without Vibram soles.

Here's the link: http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... -Boot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waterproof/breathable membranes are totally out of the question of course.

Taking the specs and reviews into account, I am overall more attracted to the ATAC than to the Merrell hiking boots, which has a body of full grain leather, suede and nylon, an "insulating moisture-wicking" lining (material(s) not specified), and 2 venture points at the inner arches of each boot.

Taking these specs into account, and from your experience with hiking boots, do you think that any of my options stands to my hopes in being practical and durable in in-water use?

According to a few reviews, if I remember correctly, the ATAC can last roughly a year with soldiers. If they can last that long with extensive everyday use, then they should last at least 3 years with me with only 3-4 serious trips a year, and it'd be fantastic if having 5 miles of walking in water in half of them would not decrease the boots' life span below that.

If you guys think that neither option does the job, then please tell me what the solution is! I am asking here if there're any boots made for use on the ground that are suitable for use in water. According to MilitaryMorons.com, the ATB's for example are dedicated for near-water operations and are not recommended for use in dry places.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" Combat Boots vs. Hiking Boots

Post by k9mark »

I have a pair of ATACS I wear for work and another for operations. They are outstanding and Im sure you will like them too
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
SinanDira
Topix Newbie

Post by SinanDira »

k9mark wrote:I have a pair of ATACS I wear for work and another for operations. They are outstanding and Im sure you will like them too
As encouraging as other reviewers, k9mark. But my question remains open, it's about their performance and durability in water.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

Well, for the price Id say pony up the hundred bucks and try them out. Relatively cheap considering prices of boots these days. Then youll find out first hand.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes