Carrying your SLR

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Carrying your SLR

Post by oldhikerQ »

Just wondering what the photographers here do about carrying your SLR into the back country to make photographs. Do you keep it readily accessible during the day? If so, what is your preferred carry method? If you keep it stored in your pack for the good light times, do you carry a P&S camera for taking pictures along the trail?
For the past few years, I have been carrying a Nikon P90 which gives me the manual control option that I want. However, I'm seriously considering taking my DSLR along starting this summer, in spite of its 4 pound weight penalty. Back in the day, I carried my beloved (but now deceased) OM1 with 3 lenses, all which were chosen to use the same filter diameter to cut down on weight. I also had a Slik 500 gram Mg/Al tripod. Sadly, the tripod's plastic parts died of old age after a couple of decades.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carrying your SLR

Post by maverick »

Hi OldhikerQ,

Here is one older thread of a few previously discussed here on HST:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5194&p=32064&hilit ... ack#p32064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another on Fred Miranda: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1004998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OldhikerQ wrote:
Do you keep it readily accessible during the day? If so, what is your preferred
carry method? If you keep it stored in your pack for the good light times, do
you carry a P&S camera for taking pictures along the trail?
I do, but a point & shoot would probably be better for this purpose since it falls
into the documentary category, and when the serious photo taking happens, which
is usually after scouting on location for a few hours, and at golden hours, the
heavier DSLR comes out.
Still using my Lowepro 200 AW Beltpack which works fine for me.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I always carried my 5D2 in a chest harness case that I would route over my pack. I never understood how people are comfortable with the things dangling around their neck or in their pack.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

When I carry my D90, I do it without the extender body and using either a 35 or 50 prime. This gives me speed and light weight, and then I use the camera strap to carry it over my neck and one shoulder after I put my pack on. This enables me to pick it up and shoot on the fly if I want to, but keeps it riding to the side and without swaying around. In "weather" I do the same with a camera baggie on the rig. I store the camera when I'm not using it, or if it's truly wet out, in a gallon ziplock.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Dittli »

Q

OM-1!! I still have mine!
Since I shoot a lot of action I need to have my slr readily available. I've always used various belt packs, worn either in front or preferably to the side. I like to keep the package small, tight and somewhat out of the way. To that end, it will only hold the 5dII camera with the attached lens.

I also appreciate that it is a separate unit not attached to my backpack, as there is no fiddling to go from pack-on to pack-off and still have the camera. I can attach my water bottle to the camera bag, tie a light parka around my waist, load the pockets with food or camera accessories (I don't use many) and bag a peak or other shot location without messing with my backpack.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the advice.
I still have my OM-1 in a camera case with all of the lenses and filters. I just can't bring myself to discard it yet.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Just an addendum to my post on the Lowepro trail runner on the other, older thread.

I now use a Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney (ignore the ridiculous name) with the thin skin belt. It's smaller and lighter than the Lowepro and still holds my Leica M7 with a 35mm lens, a 90mm lens, and 50mm lens with enough room beneath the camera for a divider where I keep my SPOT messenger. There's a zip pocket large enough to hold keys (on a key clip), 3 filters, spare roll of film, Swiss army knife, spare batteries, and a couple of other things. There are also two smaller unzipped pockets that I use for a compass, whistle, spare lens caps, and whatever else fits. Think Tank and reviewers claim it will hold a DSLR if you adjust the dividers correctly.

Along with its small overall size, a couple of other advantages are that with the belt (Think Tank has this series of bags that work with their belt system) you can easily rotate the bag on the belt from front to side. There's a rain cover that pops out of the bottom to cover the bag - it works pretty well I've found. I've tried a lot of different bags and found this works better than anything else for hiking due to it's size and the ease of being able to switch it from being in front when I carry a pack to the side when there's no pack.

One bad thing is they've raised the price from $49.95 (what I paid last year) to $74.75. When you add the $29.75 for the belt, it's not the bargain it was before. Here's the link to the bag and Think Tank if you're interested:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/ ... goToReview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I carry my camera over my shoulder/neck ready to shoot. Only when it looks like rain do I consider throwing a little neoprene cover over it ($8 bucks on ebay). When it gets nasty wet, the camera goes inside the pack. Never had problems with dust or dirt. Screen protector on the back and some gaffer tape in critical areas keep the camera protected enough.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Dittli »

oldhikerQ wrote:Thanks for the advice.
I still have my OM-1 in a camera case with all of the lenses and filters. I just can't bring myself to discard it yet.
Nor can I! A gift from my parents at high school graduation, I shot many of my early assignments with it. It makes a great paper weight now :D
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Carrying your SLR

Post by bheiser1 »

I've been using a Capture Clip by Peak Design to carry a D5100. It keeps the camera accessible while I'm hiking without the discomfort of having it hanging around my neck.

https://peakdesignltd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did have an issue with the original one. But not only did they update it for me to a new and improved design but they hand delivered the new one to my door (they are here in San Francisco). Talk about great service! The new one has worked great so far.

I use a neoprene case I cut up to work/fit with the Clip at times when the camera needs protection (or if its really bad I put it in my pack).