Putting Maps on Walls

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Putting Maps on Walls

Post by SSSdave »

Done that for years. Somewhere read when Rowell began bagging peaks in the backcountry at one point covered a whole wall with Sierra topos. When analysing off trail routes will sometimes use ordinary #2 graphite pencils to mark routes and red arrows for potential photos. Especially useful in steeper areas because figuring out best routes is often rather subtle moving a wee bit left and right as one ascends a slope. And such is often not going to be obvious enroute by sight until it is too late. For very steep technical climbing terrain when topo lines are too close together to be useful, visual sight is often more productive but otherwise less steep routes like when carrying a pack, using the topo is much better than visual only. Example is White Bear Pass betwen Brown Bear Lake and White Bear Lake. But do not mark routes I've traveled on trails.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I never have, but my brother had most if not all of the JMT covered on his wall in High School. He used 15 min topos and marked his routes, camps, and trail heads used. Countless hours of gazing and trip prep! It was used long after he left home by me, but Mom finally said enough when I left at 19.

At my work someone used two of the John Muir Wilderness sets (3 maps per set) and thats on the wall. Nice decoration, but they frown on me/us staring at it for long :D .
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Ha ha! "ego maps" we used to call them. I've been drawing red lines on mine for years too! I'm still using the original USFS: John Muir Wilderness map set, Ansel Adams, and Hoover from the early '80's. I had to fill in with 15' USGS quads for a little of Yosemite. I find the lines useful to jog my memory as I often forget where I've been!

Backpacking with Alden Nash in Death Valley last winter, I pulled out a map the had some notes on it. The notes showed I had already been in this certain canyon, but I had completely forgotten! Nash was incredulous that such a thing could happen!

I've never had wall space big enough for the entire Sierra, so they live rolled up right next to my desk for quick reference. They are pretty dog eared and taped at this point. I also realized several years ago that I should have used blue to differentiate winter from summer trips, but it's a bit late now; maybe next time.....
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Updated my ego maps lol. I hate to call them that though.

Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

For years, I've had my maps of the Sierra and Inyo NF's posted on the wall in my garage, so I could recall the two summers I worked on these forests while in college. In addition to lines delineating the flight routes for aerial photography of the forest, and outlines of working circles, I've traced routes I followed from trailheads and other starting points to the plot sites I visited. Since a lot of my time was spent off trail in back country, they help remind me of special times and places I got to see that most people don't go to. A lot of fond memories there.

When I need to refer to topography for any of these trips, I pull out my 10 minute quads from their boxes, which I've also kept as keepsakes.

Looking back, I consider that the Forest Service was paying me to go backpacking. In that sense, it was the best job I ever had.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

Pretty cool to have all your trips on one map and then sit back and reminisce about all the hikes you've been on! :nod:

I like to keep track of the trails I've hiked, as well, along with notes about the trail. But rather than manually use a highlighter to mark the trail, and then write the trail notes on (or on the back of) a printed map, I decided to keep all that information online where it's easy to access.

And I don't put all my hikes together on one map but rather create a new map for each individual hike. And I've started adding markers on the map and include my trail notes with the markers. To keep the maps organized, I put them on my blog in chronological order. Not only does that make it easier for me to find a particular hike, but since I make the map "Public," the map and trail notes are accessible to others who may be interested in doing one of those hikes.

Granted, it does require that I carry a GPS, but I have no problem with that because it makes tracking my hikes so much easier. It also requires a Google account because I use their online map resources to create the maps. But those of you who carry a GPS might want to play around with this alternative.

Here is the map I created for a trip I took this past summer. If you click on the markers, you can see the various trail notes I made along the way.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, some of us dinosaurs predate GPS. So we had paper maps and the trusty highlighter. An example:
Maps 2013 002.jpg
And yes the trusty compass. You can tell this map is not in a reasonable state to put on a wall unless mounted in a frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

rlown wrote:You can tell this map is not in a reasonable state to put on a wall unless mounted in a frame.
Yeah, but that map has "character," which is something you can never get from an online map!! ;)

And I'm up in the dinosaur age range myself. :(
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i actually do carry a gps and turn tracking on as it's fun to see "true to course" data later. But it's not wall worthy. Most still want that piece of paper in their pocket.
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

rlown wrote:i actually do carry a gps and turn tracking on as it's fun to see "true to course" data later. But it's not wall worthy. Most still want that piece of paper in their pocket.
And I'm one of them because complete reliance on technology can get you killed. So even though I carry a GPS, I also carry a compass, a 24k topo, and, as you may recall, a PLB. Wouldn't think about going into the backcountry without all four items, plus backup batteries for the GPS.