People are planning...and asking questions!

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

People are planning...and asking questions!

Post by balzaccom »

We've had a ton of inquiries on our website about two major topics: routes and weather. ANd often, the two topics (topix!) are linked. It's great to see so many folks getting ready to get up into the SIerra...but it's also a bit discomfitting to see them ask for specific information about snow levels and weather in June or July...

I thought I would just post this here so that you could all join the chorus: while it looks like a low snow year right now, the weather between today and Memorial Day will determine how much snow, more or less, there is in the SIerra and when the high passes will open.

And if it doesn't snow at all before the end of May, it can still snow in June...even down to 5,000, as is evidenced by this photo near Hetch-hetchy in June of 2011.

So go ahead and plan your trips--and be preparing to change your itinerary because of snow levels, high creeks due to snow melt, or inclement weather in the early summer!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: People are planning...and asking questions!

Post by rlown »

I agree completely. I've always thought part of planning is planning for the worst and aborting if it's not warranted in the first place (the weather angle). We have great weather forecasting nowadays. Use the data everyone.

Except Rogue.. Do what you've gotta do. :D

On a personal note: Every time i plan a trip on Memorial day, it's snowed on me. No one should ask what the weather will be 2 months in advance. It is what it is and then you decide.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

"while it looks like a low snow year right now, the weather between today and Memorial Day will determine how much snow, more or less, there is in the SIerra and when the high passes will open."

Can you explain this in some more detail? Isn't snowpack generally something that is relative to the sum of the entire season's snowfall? As we have increasingly warmer temperatures due to climate change, what is the logic that there will be more snowfall that sticks in the spring than in the winter?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

balzaccom wrote: So go ahead and plan your trips--and be preparing to change your itinerary because of snow levels, high creeks due to snow melt, or inclement weather in the early summer!
Just wanted to stress again about trip preparation. Before venturing forth into the back-country early season, make sure your gear will handle snow as well as freezing temps. With this advent of the "UL gear mentality" today, too many go out with tarps and not-adequate sleeping bags, betting against inclement weather.
IMHO, this is just asking for disaster. Better to carry a few more pounds of gear than shiver all night...or worse.

On another note, talking with my weather guru -
He mentioned that the two-month, stationary high over Greenland (the same type system that was in place and responsible for last year's lack of storms), has just recently broken down. He says watch out...every week in the foreseeable future should bring a series of storms across the Sierra. [-o<
Mountainman who swims with trout
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Schmalz - what happens in the spring has a big impact on the snowpack and how the remains of that snowpack affect summer hikers. Firstly because March is often a big month for snowfall, and early april as well. So how much snow falls in the spring makes a big difference. Also, a warm, dry spring means a fast and early melt, while a cool and snowy spring means the melt doesn't really begin until mid-may or so. So total snowfall is only one aspect of what determines how much snow is still on the ground come summer. Thus, even if you could predict what the total snowfall will be, you would not be able to predict what the snowpack depth will be at any one point.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

As the previous posts say or at least imply, be prepared!
MARK.jpg
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Who is this great looking, well-prepared, smiling hiker...Must be some sort of Sierra idol!
Actually the snow is much deeper than it looks... as am standing on Mike's shoulders.
Mountainman who swims with trout
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

paul wrote:Schmalz - what happens in the spring has a big impact on the snowpack and how the remains of that snowpack affect summer hikers. Firstly because March is often a big month for snowfall, and early april as well. So how much snow falls in the spring makes a big difference. Also, a warm, dry spring means a fast and early melt, while a cool and snowy spring means the melt doesn't really begin until mid-may or so. So total snowfall is only one aspect of what determines how much snow is still on the ground come summer. Thus, even if you could predict what the total snowfall will be, you would not be able to predict what the snowpack depth will be at any one point.
Yeah, I hear that. We are already halfway through March though and the current forecast isn't incredibly stormy. I think it's pretty safe to assume at this point that the season will lean towards being dry, but perhaps I'm being naive.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

rlown wrote:On a personal note: Every time i plan a trip on Memorial day, it's snowed on me. No one should ask what the weather will be 2 months in advance. It is what it is and then you decide.
Indeed. We've been in Yosemite over Memorial Day weekend the last two years. Both times in a blizzard. Its completely independent of whether the winter has been wet or dry.
Memorial Day 2011.jpg
Memorial Day weekend 2012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

schmalz wrote:
paul wrote:Schmalz - what happens in the spring has a big impact on the snowpack and how the remains of that snowpack affect summer hikers. Firstly because March is often a big month for snowfall, and early april as well. So how much snow falls in the spring makes a big difference. Also, a warm, dry spring means a fast and early melt, while a cool and snowy spring means the melt doesn't really begin until mid-may or so. So total snowfall is only one aspect of what determines how much snow is still on the ground come summer. Thus, even if you could predict what the total snowfall will be, you would not be able to predict what the snowpack depth will be at any one point.
Yeah, I hear that. We are already halfway through March though and the current forecast isn't incredibly stormy. I think it's pretty safe to assume at this point that the season will lean towards being dry, but perhaps I'm being naive.

Leaning towards being dry doesn't mean that you can start hiking in late May the way you might hike in late June most years. And you should plan for all kinds of conditions. That's all we're saying.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963