Who bought what?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Who bought what?

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Traded in my Osprey Atmos 65 (just did not fit unfortunately) for a Gregory Baltoro 65. Gained two pounds in the trade, but better than blisters on my hips.

Ordering a Fly Creek Platinum in about 10 days.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

ERIC wrote:
fishmonger wrote:hmm, not sure I really want to account for everything I bought over the last few months.
Me too. For me, a bit embarrassed by my compulsion to buy gear that I don't use as much as it should be. My wife jokes that I should run a gear rental business. Funny. But only sort of.. :(

EDIT: FWIW, my greatest purchases this year were a new Osprey backpack, some down gear, and a TON of stuff from the various freeze dried and packet vendors to work out some good recopies.
But large REI dividend to come...yes!
Which osprey pack did you get?
I'm no suture for my future.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Really not so much yet. I did by a new titanium pot set and a Shimano reel with gift cards I got at xmas. Other than that its all on the shopping list at this point. My main item will be new boots as my old pair are toast. Will add some new socks and update my rain gear this spring as well. I'm looking at a 1 person tent, but thats not a must have item, just on the wish list. Also thinking of getting a smaller Bear Vault 450 for short trips, but again not a must have. I buy lures year round, but have only added some panther martins and some Thomas spoons (Cyclones and Colorados) so far. On that note, are Wyld Edge still making lures Mark? I thought they had gone the way of Whittman Lures.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Rockchucker wrote:Which osprey pack did you get?
Atmos 50. Also have the 35 and love it. I used the Exos 58 last year and wasn't very happy with it. First Osprey product I haven't been impressed by..
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

Due to the fact I'm doing the JMT in July and I haven't really bought any new base gear in about ten years I figured it was time to buy some new equipment. According to geargrams my new gear cut over 5 pounds from my base weight down to 26.28 lbs. (no consumables) After I get everything weighed and entered into geargrams I'll post the gear list for the JMT.

BA Fly Creek 1
Marmot plasma 15
Thermarest prolite
Bearikade expedition
MSR micro Rocket
Evernew 1.3L pot
Sawyer squeeze filter
sea to summit bucket
Exped UL pillow
Marmot Minimalist Jacket
Vibram fivefingers
Rec components rod tube
TFO 4 piece 5 wt rod
anti-gravity gear cozy
Petzel e+lite headlamp
REI flash 18 daypack
@aguabonita
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Markskor, I used to use crocs for crossings and around camp but lost one fishing a stream due to the poor fit of the heel strap. Last year I found a walmart version of crocs that are lighter and fit much better for around $7.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

overheadx2 wrote:Markskor, I used to use crocs for crossings and around camp but lost one fishing a stream due to the poor fit of the heel strap. Last year I found a walmart version of crocs that are lighter and fit much better for around $7.
Good to know - never have used Crocs before - was on the fence and always thought they did look a bit dorky actually but my good hiking buddy Mike was passing a local Croc outlet store near Bend, OR. He gave me a shout-out - do I want some?

In the past his gear selections have always been spot on. Relying solely on his recommendation, (could be a mistake - but) he bought me a pair of Expeditions - (a little more than $7), and I will receive them when he picks me up (as usual) at the Curry Arch.
BTW, I usually do not make a point of listening to the OldRanger much.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Who bought what?

Post by Bluewater »

Finally embracing the fourth season. . . .

MLD Solomid
TAR Xtherm x2 (size R for wife, size L for me)
Rutalocura ti mugs & c/f lids.
Suluk46 ti snow stakes
2 L Evernew ti pot/lid for melting snow
Rocky Gore Tex socks
40 Below over boots
Montrail trail runners oversized to fit winter socks etc.
Snow baskets
Snowclaw snow shovel
Northern Lites Backcountry snowshoes
Smartwool heavy cushion socks
Garmin Etrex 20
Topo maps for the GPS (sold separately???)
Various materials for new homemade gear. Working on another quilt, a cuben/dyneema backpack and w/b rain/snow mitts. Already made some down booties.

BTW, for a lightweight 2 person freestanding tent under 3 lbs I like the Big Sky Evo 2p/2d/2v. It is the lightest freestanding double wall 2 person tent with 2 doors and 2 vestibules. My wife and I have weathered some windy nights in this tent.

For the lightest 2 person double wall tent (non freestanding) we use the Six Moon Designs Haven w/ the inner net-tent. 24 ozs! It also has 2 doors and 2 vestibules (good for late night pee breaks). We made it thru a bad thunderstorm from an exposed site above tree line last August in this tent. Hail froze into a sheet of ice on the outside, but it was fine. If you are interested here is a link w/ more info:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... d.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

overheadx2 wrote:Markskor, I used to use crocs for crossings and around camp but lost one fishing a stream due to the poor fit of the heel strap. Last year I found a walmart version of crocs that are lighter and fit much better for around $7.
That's what I use, too. They are amazingly lightweight, and comfortable.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

overheadx2

You are correct about the standard crocs but the "offroads" which I mistakenly called "Expeditions" can be cinched tight with velco closures and have never failed me either in stream crossings or when fishing and getting into deep sucking mud. I stand by my purchase for Markskor. I would never commit to spending someone elses money unless I was 100% sure of the purchase. I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of getting the walmart version if the decision is between the classic crocs and the cheapie walmart ones (bought a pair for my son) but for regular use in demanding conditions and for over 40 days of use per year for multiple years I trust the "Off Roads." As I recall markskor has a saying about getting the best. Oh yes they weigh less than 2 oz more than a pair of the standard Crocs.

Now there may be a problem if Markskor treats the Crocs like he treats his trekking poles.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!