What are the best Sierra hikes I have missed?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What are the best Sierra hikes I have missed?

Post by SSSdave »

maverick wrote:First I would like to address the idea that if someone posts a picture or posts
a TR to a remote location than all of a sudden it will be over run by crowds
of DSLR toting photographers or inexperienced backpackers...
What you say about REMOTE backcountry areas is true but more generally the notion of placing images of secret places on the public Internet has issues.

Hardly anyone knew about Torres del Paine in Chile until this Internet age but now in just a few years has become a Mecca for climbers and photographers.

For the first few years the Internet was mainly just a text medium with small images. As bandwidth increased at the begining of the millenium so did image sizes and numbers of images. The first few years people were somewhat open about images they publicly posted and information about those images in early web communities. A lot of my work the last couple decades has been during spring with wildflowers. Such places are not in remote wildernesses but rather along roads and day hiked to. There have been several places like these two areas that a decade plus ago just had a few people visit each spring in wet years when wildflowers are peaking. In recent years it has been a circus.

Wilderness areas never receive as much notice as such roadside public areas but the same occurs with those who do visit such places and are trying to figure out places to visit.

Here is an image I posted over at Summitpost.org in 2004 that the page author for Isosceles Peak then chose for the title page image:

http://www.summitpost.org/isosceles-peak/151840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A year later or so I see the same landscape on the cover Outdoor Photographer Magazine taken by Art Wolfe though OP jacked the saturation up so much the paper looked like it was glowing. AW still sells the image on his website though is more believable even though without cloud underlit conditions I doubt it really looked like that.

http://artwolfe.photoshelter.com/image/I00004q9wU.9ZlXo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another well known climber over at Summitpost also went up to take the same image. A person known for outrageously jacking up saturation. After a long list of various people blubbering over the image below the image in comments, I posted a singlecomment about it being unnatural which made for some unpleasant discourse but after a year or so he removed it because what I said was true.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

I have to agree with Mav and disagree with SSDave on this one.

Here in California there are so many natural wonders that we can all share and appreciate them without having to try to horde secret areas.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

schmalz wrote:
Here in California there are so many natural wonders that we can all share and appreciate them without having to try to horde secret areas.

Agreed!

I love threads like this. Usually they result in so many good suggestions!

As far as my own suggestions, as has been mentioned above, the Golden Trout Wilderness has some amazing areas and is (IMO) highly underappreciated. From the blackrock trailhead there are a number of loop trails you could do. It's a different kind of beauty (drier, not as much exposed granite) than you find in the SeKi areas, but gorgeous nontheless.

Up in SeKI, my personal on/near trail favorite is the deadman canyon/colby lake/cloud canyon area. The beauty of the mountains, meadows, trees there just overwhelms me in a way few other places in the sierras do. I'm a big fan of the Sabrina basin, North and south lake, and piute pass areas too - but it liiks like you've already spent a fair bit of time there.

Maybe the High Sierra Trail with some variation? Like follow the HST up to junction meadow,and then loop back via colby pass, cloud canyon, roaring river, deadman canyon, elisabeth pass...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You are totally right about roadside and easily accessible wildflower areas Dave.
A few years back the website "Calphoto" which produced great up to date wildflower
reports was unfortunately discontinued because a bunch of inconsiderate photographers
continued entering private property to take wildflower photos even though they had
been repeatedly warned to stay off the property. There was also an incident where
they trampled on beautiful wildflower displays in the Carrizo Plains some years back.

In regards to the Sierra backcountry, if someone asks me about the particular location a
photo was taken I have no issues whatsoever telling them because of the aforementioned
reasons given in my previous post.

Sorry KP for taking the thread off track.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

I think KPs list could use a few more Yosemite entries so here comes mine.

Vogelsang ..... Here are two different trip ideas that start at the Rafferty TH in Tuolomne and heads up towards Vogelsang.

This first one I have done parts of, researched extrensively, daydreamed about, but not yet completed. It incorporates Red Peak Pass which several others have mentioned, and also goes through beautiful country that is far enough from any trailhead that you will have much of it to yourself. Most of it on trail, with a few short off trail portions to get to specific destinations.

Day 1. Tuolomne up Rafferty, past Fletcher Lake and Vogelsang HSC to beautiful little Vogelsang lake just below the pass.
Day 2. Over Vogelsang Pass, down and then up the side trail to Bernice Lake. Spend the rest of the day either relaxing or day hiking off trail to the tarns and lakes above Bernice.
Day 3. Back down to the main trail, hang a left at the junction, continue on the high trail to the Lyell fork of the Merced River. A couple of miles up the fork you will get to Ansel Adams favorite camping spot, or so legend has it, and maybe that is correct as Mt Ansel Adams is here.
Day 4. Enjoy a morning of photography in this special place and then head back to the trail and then leave it again to go to Harriet lake.
Day 5. Back on trail, past Triple Peak Fork, spend the night at either Red Devil lake or Edna Lake.
Day 6. Over Red Peak Pass to Lower Ottoway Lake.
Day 7. Long day all the way out to Glacier Point.

My other Vogelsang trip is an exploration of the lakes and peaks around Vogelsang. The trail miles is probably 25 or less, could be done as an overnighter, but would be much better as a week :nod:
Here are some of the lakes: Fletcher, Vogelsang, Townsley, Hanging Basket, Ireland, Emeric, Bernice, Babcock, Gallison, and Booth. Last summer I just went up there without a set plan, and spent a few days exploring different lakes and peaks, it was heavenly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

- Northern Yosemite Loop out of Twin Lakes
- Rae Lakes Loop with side trip into Sixty Lakes Basin
- Mineral King Loop, Mineral King>Franklin Pass>Little Five Lakes>Black Rock
Pass> easy class 2 up to Columbine Lake>exit out Sawtooth Pass/or from
Little Five Lakes go up Big Arroyo> Kaweah Gap>Hamilton Lakes>Timber
Gap>Mineral King
- Red Mountain Basin
- Blackcap Basin
- Pioneer Basin out of Mosquito Flats
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thank you all so much, you have been terrific! I will pour over these suggestions, buy the recommended books, look through the corresponding trail reports, and then come back here to post my ten year agenda.

I so appreciate the time you took to answer my open ended question!
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

When I was young, I liked it when I could say my group didn't see another soul the entire time. Now that I'm almost 60, knowing I will see others makes me feel a little safer. I am going to recommend a route that will encounter other people, but one of which you have seen a tiny portion before. Do you like lakes? How would you like around 30 lakes in one week?

Day 1 Near Echo Summit, take the water taxi from the marina at the lower end of Echo Lakes to the upper end of Upper Echo. You start out from a fairly high elevation. It's not a bad first day to the little plot of land in between Tamarack, Ralston, and Cagwin Lakes.

2 From there, depart for Lake of the Woods. Going north from there, you find a number of small lakes to visit if you choose on the way to Aloha. Aloha itself might be a good second day camp or hike up to Le Conte for a little isolation and more view.

3 Next pass Heather and Susie on the way to Gilmore. The climb of Tallac is a nice side trip.

4 On to Dicks Lake with a possible side trip to Half Moon.

5 From Dicks, take the use trail by Fontanilis and follow the stream exiting it as it cascades down the face of a pluton. This is not hard hiking and it is only a few hundred feet of extremely easy cross country at the foot of the granite through a level forest until you rejoin the PTC. From there, continue to Upper and Middle Velma (as well as another lake with no name on my map).

6 Now climb to Phipps Pass and down to Phipps Lake.

7 Pass Grouse, Rubicon, unnamed, Stony Ridge, and Shadow, (possible side trip to Hidden) on the way to Crag Lake. There are some nice secluded flats near the SE corner.

8 Pass Genevieve and exit at Meeks Bay, Tahoe.

If you like fishing, many of these lakes are good. You also could complete this same route in fewer days or stretch it out as desired.
Last edited by Tom_H on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi kpeter,
You've definitely got enough suggestions here to keep you busy for a decade or more, so I won't bore you with any more suggestions. However, since I did notice that you appear to have signed up for the July "Search for Larry" that Maverick is organizing, I'd be happy to share stories on that long ignominious climb that is the Taboose Pass trail. I know that both Mav and Larry waxed poetic about that route (Kathy W, too), but for me, any distractions will be welcome.

The other thing I noticed in the preceding posts is that Lambertiana's query to SSSDave about his photo looks pretty spot on to me. If that's not Mt. Kaweah and its northern neighbors, then I'm completely confused.

cg
jfnr
Topix Novice

Post by jfnr »

I really enjoy going out of Edison. There are several options out of this area. The road to Edison lake is an adventure all its own. If you have time there are some great spots to pull over and get out your map and Identify peaks in the area and get a good lay of the land. I always give myself one night @ the VVR to have dinner and hang out at the burn barrel. I have met really interesting people from all over the world there. It is so nice to be around like minded people in such a great environment. I have done several trips out of this area. My favorite is Seven Gables Lakes basin via Bear Creek trail and East Fork. There are several great options for day trips out of this area. My favorite so far has been Bear Lakes basin. Heck, I like it so much I am going back this year. Also, I have never had any issues getting permits for this area, I always apply early. If you go to Bear Creek trailhead, it helps to have 4WD. This could save you a couple of miles. Check it out !