Daylight Saving Time or Pacific Standard Time?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Daylight Saving Time or Pacific Standard Time?

Post by maverick »

Which would you prefer if it came up for a vote:

A. Standard Time

B. Daylight Savings Time

C. As it is currently 4 months of PST and 8 months DST

My vote would be for B.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Daylight Saving Time or Pacific Standard Time?

Post by The Other Tom »

maverick wrote:Which would you prefer if it came up for a vote:

A. Pacific Standard Time

B. Daylight Savings Time

C. As it is currently 4 months of PST and 8 months DST

My vote would be for B.
I think you mean "standard time" for A. Some of us are on eastern time :)
Of course, we could all be like China...one time zone for the whole country (would normally be 8 zones).

Having said all that, I would pick B as well.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

personally it makes no difference to me. I mostly like to play outdoors when it is light and indoors when it is dark! Time is irrelevent except for coordinating activities with others. I find it difficult to do some things as early in the day as I would like because some of my friends sleep later than I do.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Daylight savings for sure, I think the whole time change is silly.
I'm no suture for my future.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I like "C". If we stayed on pst throughout the year, the sun would be up around 4:45am and down around 7:15 during the summer (Central Cal). If we stayed on DST throughout the year, the sun would be up around 8:15 and be down around 5:45 in the winter.

I rather have more light in the evening during the summer and more light in the morning during the winter.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

For hiking it makes little difference to me, but for some other operations I'd prefer standard time all year around. I do not know of another country that switches between a standard and "daylight savings" (or any country that does 'daylight savings', period), so this is a pain to me, and I suspect others who communicate frequently with those overseas, given that the time difference between us and folks overseas is different at different times of the year.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't care what time frame we use across the country but I hate the hour change thing. Finally it was light when I went to work and now it's dark again. All the reasons that system was put in no longer exist. Maybe I should move to Arizona where they don't do it and that will fix the problem.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

giantbrookie wrote:I do not know of another country that switches between a standard and "daylight savings"
There are quite a number that do. Most of the countries in Europe, for example.

What about Nepal? They don't have daylight saving time there but their time zone is shifted by 15 minutes instead of an integral number of hours.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

had to have the china team shift their meeting times as for me they were already late night, and the shift would have moved them an hour later.

A silly practice. Plus heart attacks are more prevalent the 3 days following the spring time shift.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

A definitely. I dont like to spring ahead my clock.