What are the best Sierra hikes I have missed?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

What are the best Sierra hikes I have missed?

Post by kpeter »

What are the top Sierra Hikes I should do while I’m still able?

OK, that is an impossible question I know, but let me be more specific about my reasons for asking and my ideas of what constitutes a great hike.

I am 54 and hope to backpack as long as possible but realistically I know the more rigorous trips will be out of reach in a decade or so. My Dad stopped completely at age 70. So I need some help setting priorities. Given that I can do one major week-long trip a year for now, which trips should I prioritize?

As you will see, most of the trips I’ve done before now are in-and-out trips with a small group of friends. I’ve seen a lot that way, but more recently I’ve been doing longer solo trips, and I think this may be a better way now to see areas that the short in-and-outs could not reach.
As an example, I did the North Lake/ South Lake loop in seven days a couple of years ago, or I did the Agnew to Tuolumne through hike.

To remind those of you who have not followed my posts, I mainly stick to trails. I don’t do cross country passes when alone, but will do limited cross country to get to a lake or a sight along the way (for example, Many Island and Boundary Lakes last year.) Never more than easy class 2. I don’t fish, don’t take a dog, don’t do much peak-bagging (unless it’s a simple walk-up) but love photography. I love streams, cascades, meadows, and subalpine flowers. I am not wild about unending desolate gray scree above treeline. My major trips are usually in the last week of July or the first two weeks of August due to my work schedule.

So, here is where I have been from North to South, and I ask my friends on High Sierra Topix to think about what is not on this list. Like a European traveler who has missed Florence, is there a destination that I must do before I am no longer able? Help me make my to-do list and I will set my sights on fulfilling it!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Re: What are the best Sierra hikes I have missed?

Post by kpeter »

(Numerous trips in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and the Trinity Alps that I won’t list.) As you can see, this is heavy on the in-and-out trips on the East Side from Tioga south, since that is what my group generally does. I put an asterisk by my favorites for scenic beauty, to further help you figure me out.

1. Emerald Bay in and out to Middle Velma Lake and surrounds.

2. Wrights Lake in and out to Maud and Doris Lakes and surrounds.

3. Carson Pass in and out to Roundtop Lake.

3. Shingle Springs in and out to Many Island/Boundary Lake area.

4. Shingle Springs in and out to Kibbie Lake.

5. Hetch Hetchy in and out to Lake Vernon and Jack Main Canyon.

*6. Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, via Shadow, Ediza, Thousand Island, Donahue, Lyell Canyon.

*7. Agnew Meadows in and out to explore Ediza, Iceberg, Cecile.

8. Mammoth in and out to explore Duck/Pika Lake with dayhike to Purple Lake and Ram Lake

*9. South Lake to North Lake to South Lake (complete circle) via Piute Pass, Humphries Basin, Evolution Valley, Muir Pass, Le Conte Canyon, Dusy Basin, Bishop Pass.

10. North Lake in and out to explore Humphries Basin.

11. South Lake In and out to explore Dusy Basin.

*12. Sabrina in and out trips to explore Sabrina Basin (x4).

*13. Pine Creek in and out to explore Granite Park/Italy Pass/Royce Lakes/ French Canyon and associated lakes (x2)..

*14. Road’s End in and out to Lake Reflection via Bubbs Creek/East Lake.

*15. Onion Valley trailhead in and out to explore Kearsarge Lakes/ Charlotte Lake/Rae Lakes/ Vidette Meadows.

16. Cottonwood Lakes trailhead in and out to explore Cottonwood Lakes/New Army Pass.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

To get things started, you will note that my SEKI hiking is very limited--one trip from Kearsarge and one to Reflection from Cedar Grove. I read with great interest the "circle of solitude" trail report and it certainly piqued my curiosity.

Also, as far as distances are concerned, when solo I seem to be able to handle about 8-10 miles a day on good trails. I did the 64 mile South Lake to North Lake to South Lake circle in 7 days.

I've also done surprisingly little in Yosemite, other than the far N and NW, and a trip from Donahue to Tuolumne.

And there are a small number of trailheads on the East side I have not used yet.
Last edited by kpeter on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
SoCalCPA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SoCalCPA »

I'm 51 and just starting backpacking again - so I'm more interested in the responses you get than contributing - But I will say I just did the Lower Ottoway Lake loop (recommended by Balzacomm) and thoroughly enjoyed it - Start at mono meadows to Lower Ottoway then over Red Peak Pass accross to the Merced and back to Glacier Point - Just 5.5 days at 10 miles a day or so - not strenuous at all really.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

There are so many places I haven't been in the Sierra that I'd like to go. I would recommend taking the Copper Creek Trail in Kings Canyon to the Volcanic Lakes and wander around the vicinity. Beautiful views into Tehipite Canyon. It's all trail and the off-trail to the Volcanic Lakes is straight-forward and not difficult. I would also recommend doing a loop in the Golden Trout Wilderness by going over Trail Pass or Cottonwood Pass. The Golden Trout is a special place. Beautiful meadows and meandering streams. Almost guaranteed solitude. There are all-trail routes you can take through there. (We didn't see anyone at the Volcanic Lakes either.)
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Too many to list.

When one discusses the best Sierra hikes on trails on a board like this, one is unlikely to find anything particularly more enlightening than what Wilderness Press published in the 70s decades ago in Sierra North and South. In other words simply reviewing those books and any of a now tall stack of regurgitated recent guide books is certain to be more productive.

By limiting oneself to trails and minor crosscountry that spur off short ways from main trails as many visitors only do, the Sierra Nevada backcountry becomes much smaller and one eliminates a considerable amount of the finest destinations. The examples are many. One does not need to sign up for more than easier class 2 crosscountry difficulties at most to reach many such places though to do so may require wandering off further than short spur distances from trails.

Not a few members particularly on this board seem to have a fascination with areas that require more difficult navigation and skill as though that somehow leads to more valued destinations. But such enthusiasm is more the result of the same interest as peak baggers have for difficult to ascend summits that of course bears no intrinsic value to what a destination offers but rather the route is a challenge. Nor do many of the best locations require long hikes to reach nor several days from trailheads.

The first thing someone may blurt out is that worthy exceptional destinations near trailheads are certain to also be swarming with other dayhikers and backpackers. In many cases that is true particularly if one's primary interests are either peak bagging or fishing where icon peaks and alpine lakes near roads have no chance of remaining unnoticed. But as you note, your interest is in nature and photography and there are many ways different people with those interests may approach such. In fact there are significant numbers of backpackers that beyond a first or last day from trailheads, 98% of the time ONLY camp at Lake This or Lake That. Actually rather humorous as though if one doesn't plunk down at some lake the rest is boring.

Many on this board have visited the same zones I have, but while most have quickly passed through, because my orientation is base camping, I may spend a few days in the same basin and really get to know areas well sometimes finding exceptional secrets. That is where the wise photographer or those seeking natural secrets can find gold. I have no interest in broadcasting to the public a long list of such places I know about as they would be certain to become overrun by the only decade old generation of new DSLR photographers. Instead they ought to pay their dues by exploring where for every nugget of gold one finds there are 9 chunks of pyrite but one always gains wisdom.

I will offer one example of an utterly empty ignored destination that I won't explain why, that I've already made public on this board in past years, that I doubt anyone paid notice, is an easy one day from trailhead class 1 to reach, very much worthy, and which one will likely find no footprints even in late summer. The northwest end of Table Mountain:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.19779,-118.59934&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

I doubt anyone paid notice...
After seeing that picture Dave posted, I am all ears now! I even see a basin of lakes that has no trail or name in the same vicinity that could become a worthy destination of solitude as the masses head over the crest on a 4th of July weekend.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

SSSdave wrote:Too many to list.
I will offer one example of an utterly empty ignored destination that I won't explain why, that I've already made public on this board in past years, that I doubt anyone paid notice, is an easy one day from trailhead class 1 to reach, very much worthy, and which one will likely find no footprints even in late summer. The northwest end of Table Mountain:
Ah, you don't know your influence. It was after reading your description of Table Mountain that I decided to include it in my North Lake/South lake circle. I did not reach the exact area you described, but in did wander a bit while en route from Tyee Lakes to George Lake and I think I discovered some of the magic you had suggested.
Table Mountain-1.jpg
Table Mountain-2.jpg
Table Mountain-3.jpg
All that said, I take your point. In fact, I had an old edition of Sierra North and Sierra South sitting next to my computer while I posted. Serendipity and self-discovery can be part of the fun of finding a new place, and sometimes I have wondered if Google Earth and online photograph sharing sites don't diminish the whole experience a bit.

I guess what I am after is a general sense of areas I would most enjoy that I have not yet visited. For some time I've been feeling as if I need to see more of Yosemite and SEKI, but beyond that I'm not sure what I'm missing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

For an unmissable on trail weeklong trip I'd suggest Cottonwood Pass to Shepherd Pass, if you can manage to sort out the shuttle arrangements. That combines our two great trips in 2012 (Onion Valley to Whitney viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and 2011 (Cottonwood Pass to Miter Basin viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and just leaves out the area from Kearsage Pass to Forester Pass, some of which you've already visited (and adds Wales/Wallace Lakes to our trips).

With 7 days you could do something like:
Day 1: Horseshoe Meadows over Cottonwood Pass to Lower Soldier Lake
Day 2: Miter Basin day trip (easy off trail)
Day 3: Lower Soldier Lake to Crabtree Meadow (off trail alternative would be camp at Sky Blue Lake on night 2 and go over Crabtree Pass on Day 3)
Day 4: Day hike to Whitney (or just explore up to the Guitar/Arctic/Hitchcock Lake area)
Day 5: Crabtree Meadow to Wallace Creek, then day hike up to Wales/Wallace Lakes (easy off trail)
Day 6: Wallace Creek over Bighorn Plateau to Tyndall Creek and up Shepherd Pass trail
Day 7: Descend from Shepherd Pass to Symmes Creek trailhead
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

a trip into miter basin via new army pass, and then down to the siberian outpost is in order. You could scope out crab tree pass and see if you might be comfortable on it. I really liked crab tree lakes.

oh haha tim beat me to it! im a slow typer i guess :evil: