Rating The Nastiest Sierra Roads

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rating The Nastiest Sierra Roads

Post by maverick »

These 4 are some of nastiest roads in Sierra, all on the eastside! If you have driven
them before please rate them on a scale 1-5, 5 being the worst, 1 the easiest.
Add in any other roads that you believe should be included in this list.

Taboose Pass: 3
Shepherd Pass: 3
Goodale Creek: 5+ (this road should not even be considered unless one has a 4
wheel drive, high clearance vehicle, and know how to drive on such terrain, nasty, nasty!)
Red Lake: 3-4
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Re: Rating The Nastiest Sierra Roads

Post by sparky »

Goodale creek Road was interesting. Don't even attempt to use it unless you are looking for a long off road adventure.

I have ridden along on some wild roads around bishop and mammoth, but we were 4 wheeling in a fully built jeep....on purpose! I really don't know exactly what roads we were on but it was pretty extreme. The vehicle makes all the difference.

I have gone on some rides in off road desert cars/sand rails. I went for a ride in an 800 HP desert car with a driver that was out of his mind. The more you begged him to slow down the faster he went :eek: I wont do that again.

We used to run up Bee Canyon road into San Bernardino National Forest all the time. Similar to Goodale creek in rockyness, but toss in sheer drops on the sides, and tweakers hanging out @ turnouts. Great views and good camping at the top though.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

Wheeler ridge 4

Laurel lakes 5

Monache jeep trail 2-3

Horton lakes TH 2-3
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've seen vehicles stuck on the road to Leavitt Lk. probably only a 3 but a brave 3. It's been years since i've actually been there.
Strider
Topix Regular

Post by Strider »

I'm just glad I walked the Dusy-Ershim trail before I tried to 4-wheel it. You barely get half way behind Courtright Reservoir and you have to drive off a 15 foot cliff.
'Hike long and perspire'
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Taboose a 3? Naw just a 2. Visibility of obstacles is good. The short spur to Fernadez Pass TH is worse because it is semi paved with gaping potholes that I thought was going to swallow up Tehipte Tom's little Honda.

Length plus traffic makes road between Kaiser Pass and Edison and Florence the most scary for me, but easily negotiated with Prius.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Just getting to the sierra is the hardest part for me, but I agree Kaiser pass road is my fav.I wish I had a rig that could tackle the ershim-dusy trail.
P.S.Where does the bear diversion dam road rank?
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

Strider wrote:I'm just glad I walked the Dusy-Ershim trail before I tried to 4-wheel it. You barely get half way behind Courtright Reservoir and you have to drive off a 15 foot cliff.
I've been through Dusy Ershim 12 times,3 times on foot(Southbound),3 times driving and the rest riding with someone. I don't recall a 15 foot cliff anywhere on the trail. Dusy Ershim would be rated the hardest for sure if you're comparing it to "roads". Breakage is common on the trail.

This is Thompson Hill(about 10 miles in from the pavement).
takotruckin
Topix Acquainted

Post by takotruckin »

The hermit wrote:Just getting to the sierra is the hardest part for me, but I agree Kaiser pass road is my fav.I wish I had a rig that could tackle the ershim-dusy trail.
P.S.Where does the bear diversion dam road rank?

Bear diversion dam is easy. A stock 4x4 wouldn't have any problem as long as the driver was careful.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Takotruckin,

Welcome to HST, and thanks for contribution!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org