Cat Haven

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cat Haven

Post by maverick »

Has anyone visited this place on the way in or out of SEKI off of Hwy 180 near Dunlap.
Have always though about stopping to check it out but have always been in a rush.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 4638.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cathaven.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Cat Haven

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

Never been there but my old district ranger and good friend, now in his 80s is a docent there. What a terrible accident!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

The son of a friend who lives in Fresno did a summer internship there in the late 1990s. That winter, our families did an overnight trip at Grant Grove. On the drive back to Fresno, we stopped at Cat Haven because the son needed to drop something off. Since it was a weekday in winter, it was closed to visitors so I didn't see much. I confess I'm not fan of confining large wild animals so I felt something was not right about about this place.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

LMBSGV

I too have a problem with wild animals in confinement. But most, if not all, of these animals cannot be returned to the wild. I suspect that more open "wild animal parks" are close to capacity. What is the alternative?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I have been there once about 6 years back and I saw the article about the girls death in this mornings paper. Living in Clovis, alot of the Elementary Schools take field trips to the Cat Haven and thats how I went on my one visit, as a chapperone for my daughters class. Terrible to say the least and I agree I am not all that fond of putting such large animals on display or keeping them in enclosures. I am surprised she was in the enclosure, as we were told that is not common at all on our visit.

Regardless of peoples views on such issues, I do hope folks dont rush to a judgement about this place. From my one visist I was quite impressed with what they do. No cats on barrells or jumping through rings of fire. Just a group trying there best to educate the public about the rapidly dissapearing habitat for these cats and others.

In fact, I was surprised to find the big cats are not their main interest. Saving the smaller cats of North and South America (sorry , but I cant remember the names of the cats, but think along the size of house cats) is the owners main objective, but people wont come to see them and there are just too few of the various species to capture any. They have the bigger cats to draw in visitors, but saving the smaller cats is their main goal.

Again, its a terrible tragedy and my thoughts and condolences go out to the young girls family.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

My kids and I have visited Cat Haven twice. It was pretty horrifying to read about the fatal mauling in this mornings paper. On one of our visits about a year ago, the male lion (the one involved in the mauling) got pretty testy with the female lion in the enclosure. He was fighting over one of their "treats"--they apparently like watermelons as treats to go with their regular meat diet. His roar and explosive attack was quite impressive, to say the least.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I never view these things as "accidents". They are inevitable. I feel bad for the young lady but worse for the lion who was only doing a natural thing. You fool around with the band wagon long enough your bound to get hit by a horn.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.