Tent Stakes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tent Stakes

Post by maverick »

Any personal preferences when it comes to stakes? Steel, aluminum or carbon? Do you
use tent stakes of pegs? Any one use rocks as anchors in place of stakes?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Tent Stakes

Post by Rockchucker »

Msr ground hogs, myog ti shepherd hooks. I reinforce with rocks all the time.
I'm no suture for my future.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

This year I am going to do a mix. I need 10 stakes for a Hexamid Solo Plus so I will use 4 MSR Groundhogs for the primary anchors and then 6 Zpacks Vargo Titanium stakes for the rest of them and then this will cut the weight.

Hopefully I will not leave the whole pack after the first night this time!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

I use Easton stakes for the main points and MSR mini groundhogs for the balance of the stakes for my BA Fly Creek 2.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

As I've said before I usually carry fewer stakes than optimal and have been known to use 100% rocks and tree branches when lacking soil. I kind of like the v shaped stakes that come with the Big Agnes tents. The hollow round pegs I got with one tent tend to break at inopportune times.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I don't know about you guys, but I don't need to buy expensive stakes. There are plenty laying around in the backcountry camps, both close in and way out. I'm amazed how many I find, and some darn nice ones. Last Sierra trip, a couple of nice needle like with a x cross section. Those are sweet. Just don't drive them into a tree root.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I like the stakes that come with Big Agnes tents, and I use mine. They're light and have been grippy and durable. I also use rocks and tie-offs to landscape features with my guy lines.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Ikan Mas wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I don't need to buy expensive stakes. There are plenty laying around in the backcountry camps, both close in and way out. I'm amazed how many I find, and some darn nice ones.
Guilty.
I am sorry to say I have accidentally left a stake here and there in my travels. I always wonder how I could have been so stupid. In 3 years, I was 3 stakes short on my Big Agnes tent, so I bought a set of MSR groundhogs to replace them, and have been happy with them.
My greatest losses so far were a pair of prescription sunglasses I lost while fishing on Tyndall Creek south of the ranger station (somewhere), and a Buck knife that I must have left on the SE corner of Lower Indian Lake, after cleaning a fish, and walking back to Rae lake. Enjoy. I have found everything from fishing poles, knives, sunglasses, water bottles, etc; and lots of trash! I try to leave anything nice sitting on a rock on a trail,just in case......but, I am not sure why.
Trash, I try to carry out. Then again, if I found a chest of gold, I would probably carry that out too, and do my part to help keep the wilderness clean!