Merino Wool

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
cherron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Merino Wool

Post by cherron »

Also, check out REI Garage sales. I have picked up many returned merino wool items for pennies on the dollar.
dsundrwd
Topix Acquainted

Post by dsundrwd »

I switched from synthetics to Smartwool in early 2012 to wear under my waders & as a base layer. I have found that they don't stink as early or as much as my synthetics would. I really like them. Even on a hot day when i wear the bottom layer under my waders it feels comfortable. Just my .02, but i am glad i made the switch.
Like you, I was scared off by the prices but I just kept an eye on online pricing until I saw a good sale & then pulled the trigger. You won't regret it
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

I go with synthetic just because it is way cheaper. You can get them at target or walmart now for like 10 or 15$.

Pants are different, I am a believer in a decent pair of pants and I found wool to be exactly what I was looking for.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I like Merino base layers - comfy, wick well,ventilate well. But I gave up because they wear out too fast. As in my polyester longs outlast the wool at least 3 to 1. Given that the wool costs at least twice as much that means 6 to1 cost ratio. Too bad.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Synth doesn't stretch like wool when you wash it, especially when you hang it over a bush. Synth dries faster. Synth doesn't absorb 60% of its weight in water when wet. Stink? Everything stinks unless you wash it (which I usually do on the trail). Merino is nice for socks, and cold weather, but in the summer for backpacking? A synth Mountain Hardwear shirt and a brief pair of running shorts, that's all I need on the trails.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

On Presidents day weekend I hit a Factory outlet Icebreaker store. Ended up buying several pairs of medium weight socks at 6.00 per pair and a pair of 150 wt. boxer briefs and a 260 weight zip neck top. Have now worn both skiing. The boxer briefs will now be part of my backpacking outfit--primarily because they weigh but 2.0 oz compared to my previous lightest pair of Underarmor at 2.8. The zipneck worked great on a cold day of crosscountry skiing (<20°) when combined with an underarmor shortsleeved T and an REI softshell jacket. Not sure if it will be used backpacking. If so it would be my extra layer that I take on Sept. trips. Key will be comparable weight of other alternatives I own.

Haven't worn the socks yet.

What I was bummed out about my visit was that they had a really sharp car coat for town use that was about 1/3 retail price that I really liked--but not in my size.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

bought the merino hat I was looking for at the recent Patagonia sale. In fact, I got two - a really thick and warm one, and the really thin one I can wear at night or under a helmet. Under $15 each, love them.