What's Your Pillow?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

What's Your Pillow?

Post by maverick »

What do you use as your make shift pillow? Or do you take a real backpacking pillow
like one of these: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-r ... g/category" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you have a pillow, which do you use, and how comfy are they compared to the
make shift ones you used before? Do you sleep much better since using them?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: What's Your Pillow?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

My pillow for along time now has been my down jacket in it's stuff sack. It does tend to get mashed way down though. This year I bought a new down jacket that has allot more down and is bigger so it should be a real nice pillow.

In the past I tried a couple different pillows. One Thermarest that was so small it was just a joke. Then I tried some sort of cloth one that wasn't bad but how could I justify the weight? I have also used clothes or my boots. I used to put my boots side by side and then place my gloves on them and then my hat over them and it was just ok.

I have also used a roll of TP when I needed to wear my jacket in extreme cold.
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

I've started using the rainfly in its stuff sack. Not the greatest but decent. I'll hopefully switch to a tarp so its time to figure something else out.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Sleeping is one area I don't skimp. I use a western mountianeering 5 oz pillow wrapped with my down jacket, stuffed into my gg big sack. Makes a great pillow, as good as my home pillow.
I'm no suture for my future.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I have a fleece lined stuff sack that I carry my extra socks, underwear, long underwear tops and bottoms, and down vest in. At bed time I empty the stuff sack and turn it inside out. Then I fold my wool sweater 1/4 of the way in from each side down the length and drape the arms down the length of the sweater. Across one end I place one pair of socks then roll up the sweater. I then fold my WM down vest in the same manner as the sweater, sans arms of course, then roll the sweater inside the vest. This multidensity cylinder is then slid inside the inside out stuff sack and cinched up. This pillow is about as good as the really spendy one I use at home--oh yeah given the contents it is more spendy than my pillow at home! When it is really cold I sometimes sleep in the sweater so then the core is two pairs of socks and my windbreaker--still an adequate pillow when wrapped in the vest.

Between assembling my pillow, taking my drugs, and stashing my glasses getting to bed is a major operation. Getting old is inevitible but not being comfortable is not an option.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

My pillow? My sleeping bag stuff bag filled with all the clothes I'm not wearing including a light down jacket..
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Ikan Mas wrote:My pillow? My sleeping bag stuff bag filled with all the clothes I'm not wearing including a light down jacket..
I build my pillow the same way except that I carry an extra stuff sack just for pillow making. It has a satin like feeling and came with one of the grandkids sleeping bag.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Ikan Mas wrote:My pillow? My sleeping bag stuff bag filled with all the clothes I'm not wearing including a light down jacket..
Ditto.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Mine is my down puffy and (if dry) rainshell, stuffed into the pillow pocket of my sleeping bag. I carry my spare clothes in gallon ziplocks, mashed and flattened, and I stash those under the head-end of my bag, for elevation/pillow effect.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Ooopss! Edited the wrong thing.
Last edited by longri on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.